Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Healing a leg is a frustratingly long process
AngieLanigan    8:36am Feb 16 2017

I assure you, everything you're feeling is 100% normal. As I was reading your post, it brought me right back to my recovery and everything I was feeling at that stage.

I can really sympathize with your weather situation. I broke my leg in December, and that winter we had storm after storm and accumulated over 150cm of snow. We live about 20min from the hospital, and after my DVT I had to go in to the blood clinic every 3 days to be checked. It took ages to get washed, dressed, manage the stairs (split level home), navigate the snow, manage the panic of driving in terrible weather, inconveniencing my father to drive me (my husband was working out of province). It was exhausting!

As for work, it might be worth talking to your employer about expectations. Can you start out by going to the office part time and working up to full time? Will you have disabled parking or close parking for a while? Is work accessible for crutches or a cane? Will you need extra time to navigate stairs, to take bathroom breaks, etc? Will you be able to elevate your leg at work at least a few times a day, as you'll still be dealing with swelling. All good things to discuss, and might help your employer to realize tha a broken leg is a major traumatic injury.

Dec 1, 2014 Tib/Fib/Talus fractures x5
Dec 5 surgery. Jan 19 DVT
Feb 9 Cast off, WBAT, PT
Feb 18 Walker to Crutches. Mar 4 Stairs. Mar 10 Crutches to cane
Apr 15 No more cane
Dec 2016 Still dealing with PTSD and anxiety, therapy ongoing.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Healing a leg is a frustratingly long process  new
JoNewt  6:09am Feb 16 2017
 Re: Healing a leg is a frustratingly long process  new
AngieLanigan  8:36am Feb 16 2017
Pauline M Hall  8:54am Feb 16 2017
susieq  11:17am Feb 16 2017
toddchaney  5:07am Feb 28 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
28 May 2017