Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Broken femur, going bonkers at home
dcb    1:32pm Mar 3 2017

Hi Xavier, sympathies for not only the broken leg but also the psychological aspects. Regarding the feeling guilty, I broke my ankle with a simple slip while walking down a grassy bank. For weeks it played over and over in my mind and I wondered why I hadn't done 'something' differently so it didn't happen. I had plans (involving ultramarathon running) and they were completely messed up in that instant when my foot slipped sideways (then stopped just in time to have all my body weight impact the fibula).

Definitely take vitamin D - it's important not only for calcium metabolism but for all sorts of other things in the body. Getting outside as you are doing is also important.

Come onto this forum and moan when you need to - we've all been through it so we all understand how FRUSTRATING it is. And depressing. You're not 'crying for no reason' - you're crying because it's an essential release of tension/depression, and you have every right to be fed up, down, even depressed, so don't beat yourself up about that. Try to treat yourself as you would a good friend who was going through this. Read up on the five stages of grief - and know that you can cycle through them repeatedly (sometimes several times in one day, going by my own example). Get some counselling if you can.

Remember your body has been using a lot of energy for healing, which does lead to being tired - which doesn't help with the depression.

Regarding work, I take it that's not a type of work you can do from home via computer? I was lucky that I could do my work that way while I was stuck at home on the sofa. If you can't work, find something else you can focus on. Is there a course you can do online, for example, one you've never had time for? A hobby that doesn't need you to be mobile? Catching up on a TV series, or a book series? Preferably two or three things so you can switch between them before you get fed up of any one thing.

Good luck!

Fibula Fx lat. malleolus Weber B 12 June 2015
ORIF plate 18 June. Cast problems (allodynia) so boot from 25th but NWB.
25 July start PWB in boot, 7 Aug PWB without boot. 14th Aug few steps FWB.
9 Sept 10-steps jog 25 Sept: PT says go run!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Broken femur, going bonkers at home  new
Xavier Liebaert  10:15am Mar 3 2017
 Re: Broken femur, going bonkers at home  new
Lena2017  11:23am Mar 3 2017
dcb  1:32pm Mar 3 2017
AngieLanigan  2:44pm Mar 3 2017
Jewels_16  11:02pm Mar 3 2017
Xavier Liebaert  1:25pm Mar 5 2017
dcb  4:04pm Mar 5 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
20 November 2017