Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Partner's Broken Leg
dcb    12:03pm Mar 5 2017

Hi Agatha, yes, that's a hard line to tread. My husband had to do it when I dislocated my shoulder some years ago and then again when I broke my ankle. Sounds like you've got the right approach - let him manage when he can; be ready to help when he needs it.

My husband says: communicate - actually ask "does it annoy you if I help with this?" "Is it helpful if I do X?" That way you find out what your partner would rather do for themself even if it takes longer, versus what they can't do.

Make it clear that he can change his mind depending on energy levels etc. I remember two or three days after having my ankle operated on saying I was going to chop the vegetables for supper - only to find that after five minutes I was too tired to continue that evening.

"I love you. Thank you for letting me help you, I know you find it difficult." may also be useful. And maybe jokingly suggesting things he can do for you once he's fit again?

Good luck!

Fibula Fx lat. malleolus Weber B 12 June 2015
ORIF plate 18 June. Cast problems (allodynia) so boot from 25th but NWB.
25 July start PWB in boot, 7 Aug PWB without boot. 14th Aug few steps FWB.
9 Sept 10-steps jog 25 Sept: PT says go run!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Partner's Broken Leg  new
Agatha  7:04am Mar 5 2017
 Re: Partner's Broken Leg  new
susieq  7:53am Mar 5 2017
dcb  12:03pm Mar 5 2017
FuschiaNovember1980  8:11am Mar 8 2017
toddchaney  6:36am Mar 17 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
29 March 2017