Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Partner's Broken Leg
FuschiaNovember1980    8:11am Mar 8 2017

Oh wow, you guys have it easy. I was in a cast for 8 weeks, then the boot with 50% weight bearing and crutches still (actually used a knee scooter) for about 7 weeks. Once I got into the boot with 100% weight bearing my husband's life was so much easier.
My husband had to do everything. He worked full-time (while I was off work for 12 weeks) and we have a 5 year old. It was a major stressor but we totally survived. My advice, coming from the one with the broken leg, would be to just offer help and if he says he's ok, then let him be. Keep the floor clean to help him get around and do what you can do. If you need a break, don't be afraid to tell him you need to get out or go do something for yourself and see if he'll be okay while you're out/napping/etc.

Another tip is that the healing takes a lot longer than any of us expected. I won't bore you with the details, but what I thought would be 1-3 months, it's now at the 6 month mark. I'm limping in my boot and can pretty much contribute the same as before to household stuff, but still can't drive. So have patience and be there for him, but give yourself some R&R too and don't be afraid to tell him "hey, I'm overwhelmed and need some me time, you okay by yourself for awhile?"

Also, look into the knee scooter for him. That was so much easier than crutches!

09/30/2016- Fell in home, broke tib/fib. Surgery with hdwr
11/23/2016- Cast off, 50% WB and boot for next 6 wks
12/21/2016- Started physio
01/25/2017- FWB with cam walker for 6 +wks
03/15/2017- Boot off! Walking and cont'd physio

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Partner's Broken Leg  new
Agatha  7:04am Mar 5 2017
 Re: Partner's Broken Leg  new
susieq  7:53am Mar 5 2017
dcb  12:03pm Mar 5 2017
FuschiaNovember1980  8:11am Mar 8 2017
toddchaney  6:36am Mar 17 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
26 April 2017