Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: broken tib/fib rugby
dcb    4:26am Apr 11 2017

Well done on the weight-bearing progression. I totally get the frustration with being unable to MOVE and get places, but do take it slowly and carefully for the next couple of weeks to make sure it is properly healed - further damage you don't need.

Regarding the swelling and colour, elevate your leg as much as possible when you're not walking - you will have lost muscle and your body's normal method for moving blood back up your leg won't be working yet, so you need to let gravity help. Even lie on your back with your legs up against a wall for a few minutes.

Exercises... resistance band exercises for flexing and extending your foot? I'm reluctant to suggest much - really you need some advice from a physio, so push for that referral.

I can give you good potential news about return to running, at least: I broke mine (fibula only, admittedly) in June 2015. I took my first running steps 12 weeks later (barefoot on short-mown grass), reached half-marathon distance by early November and did a 26-mile run six months and one day after the break. (I'm an ultramarathon runner, so yes, I do 26-mile training runs).

Note that you really, really want to regain full mobility in that ankle to avoid complications later (stress-fractured pelvis in April 2016, in my case). I repeat about the need for physio.

Good luck!

Fibula Fx lat. malleolus Weber B 12 June 2015
ORIF plate 18 June. Cast problems (allodynia) so boot from 25th but NWB.
25 July start PWB in boot, 7 Aug PWB without boot. 14th Aug few steps FWB.
9 Sept 10-steps jog 25 Sept: PT says go run!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

broken tib/fib rugby  new
Westyr  5:33am Apr 10 2017
 Re: broken tib/fib rugby  new
AngieLanigan  5:11pm Apr 10 2017
dcb  4:26am Apr 11 2017
Westyr  8:06am Apr 16 2017
toddchaney  6:38am Apr 11 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
16 August 2017