Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Really scared and shocked about my broke leg
Jewels_16    10:23pm May 16 2017

Oh Larissa, you've really been through some big time trauma. I'm sorry this happened to you. It's hard not to, but try not to think long term as far as how long you will be in casts and what your full recovery will look like. Try to focus on small improvements along the way. Right now your body needs to rest so you can heal. You will adjust to the casts and crutches. And at some point you will start PT. Really take everything your PT says to heart and do the exercises. Your recovery will take a long time. I am a year plus out from a tibial plateau crush and still have slight trouble with stairs. But when I look back to how far I came, it is amazing.

You'll read similar advice on here, but ask your friends and family for help, schedule your own outings with them when you are up to it, ask for visitors to break up the monotony. People mean well, but unless they have been through something similar they can't understand how much you will need their support. Try to get into some good binge-shows, get good books, and try adult coloring books or other hobbies like knitting or crocheting to pass the time. Really focus on being gentle with yourself and taking care of yourself. Feeling down and depressed is totally normal at times. Plus you will go through feelings of shock of one minute you were fine and the next minute you were on your way to the hospital. It takes your brain a while to catch up to your reality.

A great thing you have going for your is your age. You can't rush the healing but it helps that you are young and hopefully otherwise healthy. You will get through this!

Jewels
Slipped on wet kitchen floor: 2/24/16
Surgery to repair broken tibia and comminuted knee fracture wtih 8 screws, 1 plate: 3/17/16
Started PT: 4/27/16
Released from PT: 7/15/16

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Really scared and shocked about my broke leg  new
Larissa S  9:29pm May 16 2017
 Re: Really scared and shocked about my broke leg  new
Jewels_16  10:23pm May 16 2017
elaine smith  5:55am May 28 2017
Katietownes  6:15am May 31 2017
Lyndsey  12:44pm Jun 1 2017
toddchaney  1:11am Jun 8 2017
AW  3:47pm Jun 8 2017
AW  3:47pm Jun 8 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
16 December 2017