Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

My Greek Island Ordeal
Alisony    4:33am Jun 5 2017

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I broke my tibia and fibula shortly after midnight on 18th May. I live on a remote Greek Island. I was driving home, lost control of my car and crashed into a tree. Luckily I was conscious and was able to call a friend who came to rescue me. To cut a long story short, I had to travel in a small dinghy with a broken leg in rough seas through the night to get to the nearest hospital on the mainland. They carried out emergency immobilisation procedures, after which I drove in the back of my friend's car for 4 hours to hospital in Athens. The surgeon there was excellent. He carried out microsurgery and fitted me with titanium plates and 17 screws. On Friday I return to Athens for my first post-op assessment and I'm hoping all is progressing well.

My leg is doing fine; unfortunately the whiplash injuries are holding me back and causing pain. I'm on crutches but find that they put a lot of strain on my neck, shoulders and chest which are fragile from the whiplash. So although my doctor is allowing me toe-touch bearing, I'm not being as mobile as I'd like to be.

On the whole I'm feeling upbeat and positive and I feel grateful that my injuries were not worse, as they easily could have been under the circumstances - if my car had been just one inch more to the left as it rolled back, I would have gone freefall down a steep hill. It makes me shudder to think about it.

I look forward to following your stories and advice.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

My Greek Island Ordeal  new
Alisony  4:33am Jun 5 2017
 Re: My Greek Island Ordeal  new
dcb  2:43pm Jun 8 2017
toddchaney  6:23am Jun 12 2017
toddchaney  6:23am Jun 12 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
26 September 2017