Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: First surgery and broken bone(s). NEED SUPPORT
FuschiaNovember1980    10:49am Jun 9 2017

Ugh, I'm so sorry and I can completely relate (as I'm sure most here can!). After my accident (nothing as fun as yours sounded!) I had surgery too (2 plates, 14 screws) and my husband still had to work. Our regimen quickly became him bringing me breakfast and helping me get situated for the day (get dressed, prep some snacks, etc) and then taking care of our 5-year-old son and getting out the door. I would be home all day and it really sucked losing all independence.

Some suggestions:
- get a raised toilet set and a safety bar for the bathroom- it helps alot for sitting down and such!
- get/rent a shower chair and safety bar too. I still needed help showering since I had a cast for a few months, but after that the shower chair helped for getting in and sitting down to bathe/shower.
- if you've got a walker, are you able to put any weight on your leg? If not, check out the knee scooter- that was a life saver compared to crutches/walkers.
- Netflix and chill! Get some good books, buy some comfy pants online and invest in comfort items that help you feel less icky and more human.

You will get through this! I remember feeling like I'd never get back to work, or driving, or of course walking. I really hated needing help leaving the house and being driven places and showering and all that stuff. But now it's a distant memory!

I also found it very humbling and in that there is a good life lesson. It taught me to value independence and walking so much! I hated how I felt in a wheelchair and how people looked at me in my knee scooter or crutches. I then developed such empathy for those who are disabled for life and have no end in sight!

09/30/2016- Fell in home, broke tib/fib. Surgery with hdwr
11/23/2016- Cast off, 50% WB and boot for next 6 wks
12/21/2016- Started physio
01/25/2017- FWB with boot for 6 +wks
03/15/2017- Boot off! Walking and physio

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

First surgery and broken bone(s). NEED SUPPORT  new
Lyndsey  12:38pm Jun 1 2017
 Re: First surgery and broken bone(s). NEED SUPPORT  new
AngieLanigan  2:52pm Jun 1 2017
Katietownes  6:15pm Jun 1 2017
Jewels_16  9:10pm Jun 3 2017
dcb  2:27pm Jun 6 2017
FuschiaNovember1980  10:49am Jun 9 2017
toddchaney  6:22am Jun 12 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
24 September 2017