Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Broken tibia and fibula on holiday: in pain and in plaster, seeking support.
John May    3:19pm Jun 13 2017

Hi, I'm my name is John, I'm new to here, and I need some support and advice.
I'm 38 years old, and live in England. I went on a short 'break' with summer friends last week and came back home with another, unwanted break...I broke my leg.
We went to Spain to play golf ( close to Benidorm for those who know the area) and had been there for a day when we decided to walk across the beach to a beach bar. I had my flip flops on and I remember taking a step, and my foot disappeared into the sand, it turned out a layer of sand was covering up a gap between two rocks which i obviously couldn't see. My leg twisted and... It just sort of bucked, twisted and then I heard it make a loud cracking noise.
I went via ambulance to the hospital in Benidorm, and had my leg X-rayed. The Dr explained through a translator that I had broken both the bones in my (right,) leg, the tibia and fibula. I had anaesthesia and got my leg set in plaster and kept in hospital for 2 days.
I have to say the staff were wonderful, as were my mates who sorted out my insurance and flight back to the UK.
The accident was on Thursday and I flew home earlier​ today. Before I left the hospital they spilt the plaster cast down both the outside and inside, and secured it with coloured tape to allow for swelling on the flight home, and if necessary the tape could be cut pen if my leg swelled too much, which it didn't.
The cast feet incredibly loose so I went to A&E at my local hospital, and they have removed it and put me in another plaster splint (it runs from my toes, up my leg into my inner thigh groin region). They X-rayed my leg before they removed my splint and after they had re-plastered my leg.
I saw the orthopedic doctor on call after they had put the new plaster splint on. She told me that I have a spiral fracture to both tibia and fibula, likely to have been caused when I twisted my leg when I fell after getting it caught in the rocks.
She said they'll decide when I go to fracture clinic on Thursday whether I need to have an operation to stabilise the fractures or if they can just put me in another cast instead.
Either way she said I was looking at a "few months of recovery time".
I broke my wrist a few years ago and had a small cast on for a month.
This is way worse.
I'm in pain, the plaster moulded to my leg beneath the bandages holding it together is damp, I can't easily manouver my leg because 1. I can't bend my knee and 2. It screams out at me in pain.
I also want a shower so bad...I sat in 30 degrees heat in Spain in a huge cast and need to shower so badly.
I've written random questions down that are worrying me:
1. How will they decide if I need an operation? If I do need one what are they likely to do?
2. Will I be in plaster after any operation?
3. If they only put my leg in plaster does anyone know if it will have to be as big as this one ie go from my toes , over my knee and extend into my groin area? Its pretty grim to be honest.
I appreciate you may not be able to answer these questions but any advice would be great as my girlfriend and I are completely bamboozled by what to do with everything.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Broken tibia and fibula on holiday: in pain and in plaster, seeking support.  new
John May  3:19pm Jun 13 2017
 Re: Broken tibia and fibula on holiday: in pain and in plaster, seeking support.  new
dcb  4:37pm Jun 13 2017
 Re: Broken tibia and fibula on holiday: in pain and in plaster, seeking support.  new
susieq  4:15am Jun 15 2017
toddchaney  6:34am Jul 4 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
25 July 2017