Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Outpatient appointment today: not what I wanted to hear
John May (82.132.243.---)   6:18am Jun 15 2017

Hi all - I had my appointment with the consultant in charge of my care this morning. I'll keep the post relatively short if I can and the information I have is as follows:
1. I have fractured​ both my tibia and fibula in my right leg (which I knew) - they are called spiral fractures which I also know.
2. Tibia is fractured almost mid shin and fibula above my ankle.
3. The consultant discussed the treatment options - basically operate to put a rod in to stabilise the tibia break or simply put me in a cast
4 He told me that, viewing my fractures on the X-ray, I may "get away without an operation".
5. I'll have my leg placed in a "full leg" ie toe to thigh cast next week and have to put up with this until they can put a shorter cast on (no timescale - any ideas??)
6. I'm still in the plaster splint for now as my leg is still swollen to allow them to put a full cast on
7. I go back on Monday afternoon next week to get the splint removed and the full leg cast put on. Swelling permitting.
8. If the breaks heal without an operation I'm told by the consultant that I'll be looking at "a few months in plaster" which is the phrase he used that's most stuck in my head..not weeks, months.

I guess there is no good time to hurt yourself but this couldn't have come at a worse time for me.
We had a busy summer planned but it seems like I'm going to be stuck in plaster for the entire summer....a complete bummer to put it mildly.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Outpatient appointment today: not what I wanted to hear  new
John May  6:18am Jun 15 2017
 Re: Outpatient appointment today: not what I wanted to hear  new
Kasia  10:04am Jun 15 2017
John May  2:30pm Jun 15 2017
toddchaney  6:35am Jul 4 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
24 September 2017