Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Broken Fib boot hurts
dcb    4:09pm Jul 25 2017

Hi Sarah,

Sympathies. I suggest you send a message and ask regarding when you're allowed to take the boot OFF when sitting/lying with the leg supported. Until then I suggest extra padding with cotton wool or foam or whatever you can find - those things ARE uncomfortable, unfortunately. (I was lucky in that my fibular fracture was surgically repaired (because it was right at the joint) and I was allowed to take the boot off if the leg was up and supported).

Regarding weight bearing:
Start GENTLY by increasing weight bearing while standing - holding e.g. a kitchen counter so you're nice and stable. Stand on both legs (so actually touch the bad foot to the ground!). Let the sole of your foot get used to this strange sensation. Repeat several times. When you're ready, slightly shift some weight over onto that leg. One way to do this is to slightly raise the heel of your good (uninjured) leg - this will put more weight onto your bad (injured) leg. Do this maybe ten times. Repeat several times during the day. Gradually you will be able to lift your heel more and move more weight onto the injured leg. Once you've done this standing, it's easier to do while walking.

I found it very useful to stand with the bad leg on bathroom scales (the type with a dial, not electronic) and the other leg on some large books (e.g. telephone directories) to the same height as the scales. As you progress towards fully weight bearing, try to stand so it feels like even weight through both legs (while using your crutches or holding onto the kitchen counter) then look down - you will probably find you have maybe 20 or 25% of body weight on your injured leg. Gradually shift your weight, e.g. by lifting the heel of your good leg, and you can see the increase of weight through your bad leg. It will probably feel uncomfortable, but you don't want it to be actually painful.

As you do these exercise, you show your brain that you can put more weight through the leg. That makes it easier to do so while walking. With the walking, try little and often at first, elevate the leg afterwards, and gradually increase the distance. Expect to be slow while putting some weight through the leg.

Good luck, and don't start any weight bearing earlier than you're allowed.

Fibula Fx lat. malleolus Weber B 12 June 2015
ORIF plate 18 June. Cast problems (allodynia) so boot from 25th but NWB.
25 July start PWB in boot, 7 Aug PWB without boot. 14th Aug few steps FWB.
9 Sept 10-steps jog 25 Sept: PT says go run!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Broken Fib boot hurts  new
Sarah Clayton  7:59pm Jul 24 2017
 Re: Broken Fib boot hurts  new
dcb  4:09pm Jul 25 2017
Sarah Clayton  6:36pm Jul 25 2017
dcb  12:53am Jul 26 2017
Sarah Clayton  8:42pm Jul 26 2017
toddchaney  3:56am Aug 23 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
23 August 2017