Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Fracture clinic today-mixed news and new plaster cast.
Sarah Clayton    12:32pm Sep 28 2017

I'm with Sarah (I'm another Sarah that broke my fibula .. spiral fracture as well).
I think from all I've read and heard, you want to avoid surgery if you can. The hardware they put in 'can' cause pain in the future and you don't always heal so perfectly from what I've heard. I 'believe' the idea about using hardware is to speed up recovery (so for athletes etc they might opt for this)because they can back at it faster. In my experience I broke my fibula July 1st. A friend at works, wife, broke her fibula two weeks before me but had plates put in. I'm 12.5 wks out and can walk down 5 flights of stairs, she cannot walk one stair down without the two step. She is not recovering as well and it in pain. I have no pain, except that the soft tissue recovery was way more than I imagined, and yes I have 12 years on you. I was in my air cast (only to the knee) for 10 weeks. Now that its over I'm happy that I just have my nicely healed bone and no hardware to worry about, or have removed later. Put it this way, whatever you do, it's going to take a little time. I'm happy you have your wife and kids, I know you feel guilty etc but at least they are there to help you. It's not easy for all concerned but at this point,healing correctly is your most important job.

July 1 2017 - spiral break fibula July 7 Aircast NWB road bike wipeout
July 31 - PWB
Aug 18 - FWB in boot Aug 22 - first PT
Aug 24 - 8 wks - FWB boot no crutches
Sept 7 - 10 wks - first steps no boot
Oct 1 - back on my horse

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Fracture clinic today-mixed news and new plaster cast.  new
Steven Jones  10:45am Sep 28 2017
 Re: Fracture clinic today-mixed news and new plaster cast.  new
Sarah T  12:01pm Sep 28 2017
Sarah Clayton  12:32pm Sep 28 2017
Steven Jones  2:46pm Sep 28 2017
Nikki Blake  2:22pm Sep 28 2017
Steven Jones  2:42pm Sep 28 2017
SimonC  4:13pm Sep 28 2017
Allycat  5:49pm Sep 29 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
14 December 2017