Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: 6 weeks ago I was hit by a car
Sarah T (47.208.143.---)   4:05pm Sep 29 2017

Omigosh, the same thing happened to me - SUV and everything! I'm 14 weeks out from getting hit. I was crossing the street, in the crosswalk and with the light, when a Kia Sportage plowed into me. Next thing I knew, I was sprawled on the pavement and my shoes were 10-15 feet away. If no one's told you you're lucky to be alive, believe me - we both are!
The thing is, when the relatively puny human body goes up against 3000+ pounds of metal, the consequences are pretty devastating. Like you, I had a concussion that still gives me trouble, whiplash, knee damage, abrasions and road rash everywhere. The busted ankle was, for about six weeks, the easiest injury to deal with, because all I had to do was stay off it. Done!
I think you're about to turn the corner. Although you always want to check in with your doc regarding pain and swelling (swelling is totally normal if you've been following these boards), sounds like you're progressing pretty normally and actually pretty darn well. At six weeks out, I had a hard time envisioning getting my active life back, and it was depressing to say the least. But then things started to happen very quickly, small achievements added up, and much of my life and my independence is back, though I expect to be continuing with PT for a few more months to get to 100 percent (actually I'm shooting for 110). You have your youth on your side as well. Hang in there, trust your gut (if it feels like too much or hurts, back off a bit), and keep us posted. And don't neglect your other injuries - especially the concussion! I still can't subtract, lol.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

6 weeks ago I was hit by a car  new
Jay DM  1:39pm Sep 29 2017
 Re: 6 weeks ago I was hit by a car  new
Sarah T  4:05pm Sep 29 2017
Sarah Clayton  6:15am Sep 30 2017
Montrealaise  11:05am Sep 30 2017
dcb  2:42pm Oct 3 2017
Jay DM  2:31pm Oct 4 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
14 December 2017