Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Horse riding accident and a broke leg
MaKayla (205.213.2.---)   9:48am Nov 4 2017

Hi Chelsea! Welcome, unfortunately! I don't have any experience with a full leg cast, but I do with the emotional rollercoaster I'm sure your on. You sound like a very busy girl, as I was! I went from class (local community college) to work, to the gym, dog park with my two fur babies, and so on. To have it all come to a screeching hault is hard. Probably one of the hardest things I have ever done! I am sure that your probably thinking the same thing, but let me tell you, it really does get better.
I am just about a month post surgery for a broken fibula and dislocated ankle. I see my dr on the 13th. I have been told to be NWB for 6 weeks (the 13th). However he did tell me it's okay to start bearing weight on it as we got closer and just yesterday I was so fed up with my knee scooter I asked my mom to get my crutches and I surprised myself being able to be pretty dang close to FWB. I'm still taking it slow. I know the last thing you want to think about is walking right now but just know, it does get better.
Everyday you will find new and easier ways to do things. You will get stronger, and your leg will slowly start to feel better. Until then, stay on top of the pain. I learned this the hard way after surgery. Don't wait until your pain is unbearable to take meds.
I would look into a wheelchair if I were you. Much easier than crutches and you can just wheel yourself into classes and activities. TRUST ME being able to do "normal" things will make you feel so much better. Me and my knee scooter went every where, mall, Walmart, restaurants, the dog park if you can believe it! I unfortunately took a semester off of my in school classes. This KILLED me! I miss my band class terribly but I at least know that I am doing a little bit towards my degree online.
Take care, I found writing about it on here and talking to others in similar positions as me helpful as well. Good luck, and remember, it will get easier and this is only temporary!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Horse riding accident and a broke leg  new
chelseaTimmins  7:53pm Nov 3 2017
 Re: Horse riding accident and a broke leg  new
SBH  8:43am Nov 4 2017
MaKayla  9:48am Nov 4 2017
Sarah Clayton  9:37am Nov 8 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
19 November 2017