Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

First broken bones age 30 - tibia and fibula.
Harry Sutton    1:30pm Nov 4 2017

First - thank goodness i came across this site when searching for answers to questions I have about my injuries. Hopefully itíll be a godsend for me and my family.
My name is Harry and Iím 30 years old. Until Thursday evening I was fit and healthy. I play sport - football (soccer if you live in the US) and Squash weekly.
On Thursday evening I was playing football for a team Iíve been in since a teenager. From what I remember I went in for a 50/50 tackle with the opposition player and he mistimed his challenge and caught me on my right shin - I wear protection on this (shin pad) but this has broken earlier in the game (the elastic that holds it in place snapped) so his foot, boot and studs impacted on my shin bones and...all I remember is hearing a crack and snapping noise as I collapsed in a heap on the pitch. You canít really describe the pain to anyone - itís like being hit with a huge hammer repeatedly I guess.
I was carted off to Accident and Emergency at The closet hospital to the town I live in and got seen quick by the doctor and they Xrayed me in the bay I was in (they had an X-ray machine fixed to the ceiling from what I remember).
The diagnosis - I have broken my right leg, specifically the tibia and fibula in my shin. I was placed in a temporary plaster splint and told I was staying in overnight as they needed to move the bones back into place as they were what they termed Ďdisplacedí.
I had this done under anaesthetic yesterday - they knocked my out and I woke up with it all over with, which was good because when they put the temporary splint on in the accident department it was torture.
I remember waking up and nervously peering under the bed sheets to see if my leg was still there as I couldnít feel anything- it was, but in the biggest plaster cast Iíve seen. More of that later.
I came home this morning and feel bewildered and in shock.
I have a fracture clinic appointment on Thursday next week to meet the consultant Iím under the care of - canít wait
Right now - my leg is in plaster from my toes to my hip area. They cut it down one side to allow for swelling but otherwise it encircles my leg completely.
I have crutches but canít put any weight on my leg whatsoever when I use them.
Iím taking in the enormity of what has happened.
Iíve been told by the doctor I saw before being discharged to expect either an to be in a cast for ďquite a whileĒ whatever that means or have to face the prospect of an operation if my breaks donít heal in the cast or keep slipping out of place.
Iíve so many things I need to fathom out.
Anyway thanks for reading this - any advice would be more than welcome. About anything at all related to my breaks and cast really.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

First broken bones age 30 - tibia and fibula.  new
Harry Sutton  1:30pm Nov 4 2017
 Re: First broken bones age 30 - tibia and fibula.  new
dcb  3:20pm Nov 4 2017
Harry Sutton  4:02pm Nov 4 2017
dcb  4:20pm Nov 4 2017
Harry Sutton  4:25pm Nov 4 2017
dcb  4:56pm Nov 4 2017
Harry Sutton  5:05pm Nov 4 2017
dcb  11:52am Nov 5 2017
SBH  9:58pm Nov 4 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
17 December 2017