Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: First broken bones age 30 - tibia and fibula.
dcb    3:20pm Nov 4 2017

Hi Harry, first, sympathies. Sounds like they are intending not to operate. The bad news is that this means a full length leg cast, like you have now, for perhaps 3 months and then a below the knee cast for another 8 weeks, probably.

It's going to be hard for you being inactive that long. Once the initial pain has got less you might want to think about e.g. weights exercises you can do with your upper body, just so you are doing -something- physical.

Additionally, you need to think of things to do during this time. Is there a set of books you want to read/TV series to go through/online course you'd like to do? Preferably have at least two or three things so you can switch between them before getting bored.

I was able to work from home after the first few days, which helped. I had to sit lengthways on the sofa with my injured leg up on pillows. A large-ish beanbag can be useful - particularly at night, as your leg is not going to slip once its resting in the bean bag, and the covers should tent over it and not drag on your foot.

We can give more tips on coping - all the little practical things (don't even try to have a shower at the moment, but later you might want to get a cast cover so you can do that).

And for the future... you CAN recover fully. As an example, I broke my ankle (fibula only, but right at the joint) in summer 2015. Now I'm running ultramarathons again.

Good luck!

Fibula Fx lat. malleolus Weber B 12 June 2015
ORIF plate 18 June. Cast problems (allodynia) so boot from 25th but NWB.
25 July start PWB in boot, 7 Aug PWB without boot. 14th Aug few steps FWB.
9 Sept 10-steps jog 25 Sept: PT says go run!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

First broken bones age 30 - tibia and fibula.  new
Harry Sutton  1:30pm Nov 4 2017
 Re: First broken bones age 30 - tibia and fibula.  new
dcb  3:20pm Nov 4 2017
Harry Sutton  4:02pm Nov 4 2017
dcb  4:20pm Nov 4 2017
Harry Sutton  4:25pm Nov 4 2017
dcb  4:56pm Nov 4 2017
Harry Sutton  5:05pm Nov 4 2017
dcb  11:52am Nov 5 2017
SBH  9:58pm Nov 4 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
18 November 2017