Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

New here- broken tibia and fibula
Karen2545    7:19am Nov 5 2017

Hello everyone, I have joined the club that none of us want to be in! I was out for my morning run on 10/25 at about 6:30am. Iím a 44 year old mom with 4 kids ranging in age from 3-14 and I operate a Chick-fil-A restaurant. We were just coming off a difficult 2 years with the business and family being too much for us. We finally had a good plan in place with some good leaders to take on a lot of what I was doing and also my husband who has unintentionally taken on a major role at work. The goal was to get him nearly all the way out of the business so weíd have more of a full time parent. And we were close! We kept saying the light at the end of the tunnel was a week or 2 away with delegating some major responsibilities.

And then, this happens! I have been running nearly every day since about June. I was so proud of the shape I was in and felt so healthy. I had breast cancer 2 years ago and perhaps as a result of the medication I must take, struggle to keep my blood sugar from going too high. Iíd been eating healthy and exercising and felt great. I had just run a 5k in 26:40 and was proud of that.

So when I went out running, it was still dark and I wore my reflective vest. I run in the back of my quiet neighborhood and very occasionally see a car that early. Just as I was getting started, I could see headlights in the distance. I moved onto the grass which would have been fine. Then I decided to move even further over away from the road. The footing was uneven which I didnít expect and didnít see in the dark. Somehow I started falling and twisted my leg badly. I knew instantly something was broken. I determined quickly I could not get up or crawl back to my house. I repeatedly called my husband who was showering while I sat there and cried. Finally he answered and drove to get me. Somehow we managed to get me up and into the car. My ankle was dangling at an odd angle. We dropped my oldest off at school on the way to the ER and told our 12 year old to get her brothers ready for school. The good thing about the timing is that not too many people manage to injure themselves that early in the morning, so I got right in. My husband left to take the other 3 kids to school. My 7 year old was 4 minutes late, but other than that we didnít miss a beat. After X-rays and a CAT scan, it was determined that I had a spiral fracture running down my tibia into the joint and a fractured fibula. I would be scheduled for surgery if not right away, then soon. The orthopedic surgeon that I saw said that it was pretty complex and heíd feel better with his coworker, a trauma surgeon doing the surgery. How on earth did I do this running??? So crazy. So here I am, 12 days after the accident and 10 days after surgery wondering how things will ever get back to normal. I am convinced this happened for a reason, maybe to reprioritize our overly hectic life. I have such a different perspective on priorities right now. This is definitely the hardest thing I have ever been through. Sorry so long, thanks for reading if you did!

Spiral fracture in tibia and broken fibula from fall on daily morning run 10/25/17. Surgery 10/27 to insert rod and screws

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

New here- broken tibia and fibula  new
Karen2545  7:19am Nov 5 2017
 Re: New here- broken tibia and fibula  new
dcb  12:02pm Nov 5 2017
Karen2545  4:41pm Nov 5 2017
Kasia  1:37pm Nov 5 2017
Karen2545  4:44pm Nov 5 2017
Harry Sutton  10:32pm Nov 5 2017
Karen2545  8:41am Nov 6 2017
Harry Sutton  2:10pm Nov 6 2017
dcb  3:41pm Nov 6 2017
Karen2545  6:06pm Nov 6 2017
dcb  12:21pm Nov 7 2017
Alybrokeherleg  1:23am Nov 9 2017
FuschiaNovember1980  10:17am Nov 14 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
19 November 2017