Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Have No Idea What I'm Doing?
dcb_Debra    5:00pm Jan 9 2018

Hi Tilly, Go back and ask for physio - they should give it but you might need to really push! Go to your GP if necessary and ask there.

As for progressing in weight bearing, sadly it's common not to be given any advice about HOW to progress to properly weight bearing. One of the most useful things is what we call "the slow dance". You can do this initially in the boot and when you feel ready then without the boot (I used it to progress to FWB in the boot, then took the boot off and started again, because that's what my orthopaedic surgeon said to do, for me). Basically, hold onto a kitchen countertop or something else nice and solid. Stand on both legs (at first you will put very little weight through the bad leg) and slightly lift the heel of your good foot, then put it down again. As you do this it automatically encourages you to put more weight on your bad leg. Repeat several times during the day. (This means you can put more weight through the bad leg under control, while standing, which should make it easier to do it while walking)

If you want to get a bit more scientific/know how much weight you're putting on the bad leg: get some old-fashioned bathroom scales, with a dial (you can find them cheap in charity shops, often). Put large flat book(s) next to the scales so they're on the same level. Stand with one foot on the scales the other on the book (telephone directories are good if you still have one). Now you can see how much of your body weight you're putting on your bad foot, including as you do the "slow dance" and lift the heel of the other foot.

It's a lot easier to put more weight through the leg when walking once you know you've put 90 or 100% of your body weight on it while standing, and you really can progress to FWB over a couple of weeks, even though it seems impossible at first.

The exercises in that leaflet do help as well with the mobility. The pain is probably because the tissues are being asked to do things they've not done for a while - physio does help with that.

Good luck - and push for that physio!

Fibula Fx lat. malleolus Weber B 12 June 2015
ORIF plate 18 June. Cast problems (allodynia) so boot from 25th but NWB.
25 July start PWB in boot, 7 Aug PWB without boot. 14th Aug few steps FWB.
9 Sept 10-steps jog 25 Sept: PT says go run!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Have No Idea What I'm Doing?  new
TillyDog  1:54pm Jan 9 2018
 Re: Have No Idea What I'm Doing?  new
TillyDog  2:01pm Jan 9 2018
dcb_Debra  5:00pm Jan 9 2018
TillyDog  1:12pm Jan 11 2018
dcb_Debra  3:54pm Jan 12 2018
MaKayla  9:07pm Jan 11 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
22 January 2018