Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

New here: car accident - fractured both legs and C2/C5 cervical fractures
Halo Steve    3:43am Jan 12 2018

Hello-Iím Steve. I live in the UK in a village near Hull in the East coast of Yorkshire. On Wednesday 3rd January I was involved in a car accident and Iíve sustained some life changing injuries as a consequence. Iím still piecing together what happened so forgive me if itís a bit sketchy. My wife is helping me.
The accident:
I was driving to work in the mornings on the same road I always drive down. The problem was that there was black ice which the weather forecaster had warned about. So I drove carefully but without warning another car driving towards me and me both appeared to lose control at the same time and she hit my car on the front and side wing as she spun. I braked, slid as did another car behind from what witnesses say: I have no recollection of the actual accident after the initial impact. Thereís no blame: I certainly donít blame anyone.
Accident and Emergency: the only thing I have a vague recollection of is waking up in hospital in A&E with bright lights above me. My head and neck were in a hard collar and I could feel pain everywhere: head neck legs back. I was sedated and taken for scans and X-rays.
When I woke from the sedative my wife was with me, and the Orthopaedic consultant was there to tell me what injuries I had sustained:
The injuries:
Right leg - fractured and dislocated ankle that required an operation as it took the brunt of the impact. Luckily the side air bag inflated to prevent worse injuries.
Left leg - fractured tibia and fibula, caused as the dashboard collapsed and my shin hit it. The breaks are ďclean ď as in both bones broken in half but not splintered or otherwise damaged so theyíll hopefully heal without an operation to fix them.
My neck - this was the news that has shaken me up the most. The force of the car hitting mine from behind caused my head to hit the steering wheel with enough force to fracture my C2and C5 vertebrae in my neck. Iím incredibly lucky not to be paralysed. For that Iím so so thankful.
The treatment:
Right ankle - I had an operation to fix it. I have metal work in it and itís now in a castvup to my knee. Iíll be in it for 6-8 weeks.
Left leg: it was in a temporary cast to start with but shortly before I got discharged from hospital yesterday they wheeled me down to the Plaster room and put me in a new cast, itís a plaster one and goes from my toes to the top of my thigh. Estimated time in it - 12-16 weeks.
My neck: i was in traction for a few days while they decided what to do.
Iíve not had an operation but have instead been fitted with whatís called a Halo Brace. In a nutshell: they screwed 4 pins into my skull, attach a metal ring to them and attach this rods that are in turn attached to a plastic vest lined with lambs wool. Iíve copied a link from the hospital website if anyone wants a look and read up about this:

https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patient-leaflet/guide-to-wearing-your-halo-vest-system/

Iíll probably post more on the fitting of it and what itís like to be in it (hell) at some other point as it was and is traumatic.
I have to wear it for 16 weeks. But Iím incredibly lucky.

Iíll finish here now - Iím exhausted as I canít sleep and also feeling woozy as my pain meds are well and truly kicking in.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

New here: car accident - fractured both legs and C2/C5 cervical fractures  new
Halo Steve  3:43am Jan 12 2018
 Re: New here: car accident - fractured both legs and C2/C5 cervical fractures  new
Alybrokeherleg  4:07am Jan 12 2018
 Re: New here: car accident - fractured both legs and C2/C5 cervical fractures  new
Halo Steve  6:18am Jan 12 2018
Alybrokeherleg  4:28am Jan 17 2018
dcb_Debra  4:18pm Jan 13 2018
Signe  12:43pm Jan 19 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
21 July 2018