Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Advice needed on newly broken leg
dcb_Debra    7:12am Jan 28 2018

Hi James. Glad if what I've said is helpful. The stool might be useful - if nothing else to elevate the leg a bit while sitting on a chair in the bathroom to have a wash (speaking from experience). Be ready to e.g. help her wash her hair - life can feel better if you've been able to wash your hair and your scalp isn't itching!

Being signed off from work is no bad thing. I think Chloe will know when she feels strong enough and bored enough to start working (from home). I had a deadline to meet and nobody else to do the work, so I got started pretty much straight away. But I was easily tired at the beginning and I had only broken my fibula.

If she is on the injections into her stomach to reduce the risk of blood clots, make sure both of you have been shown how to do them before she comes home. They can be only mildly painful and stinging, or very painful.

Make sure you both know what's normal in terms of increased pain and reddening of the foot when she's vertical (i.e. when she's on crutches and the foot is hanging down), so you know what's abnormal/might need checking.

If Chloe is normally very active, then the inactivity can be hell (speaks the ultramarathon runner), particularly as she regains general energy. My husband drove me every Saturday morning so I could still volunteer at my local parkrun - helped a lot, psychologically.

Happy to try to answer more questions as you have them.

Fibula Fx lat. malleolus Weber B 12 June 2015
ORIF plate 18 June. Cast problems (allodynia) so boot from 25th but NWB.
25 July start PWB in boot, 7 Aug PWB without boot. 14th Aug few steps FWB.
9 Sept 10-steps jog 25 Sept: PT says go run!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Advice needed on newly broken leg  new
James R  8:11am Jan 23 2018
 Re: Advice needed on newly broken leg  new
dcb_Debra  2:30pm Jan 23 2018
James R  1:44pm Jan 27 2018
dcb_Debra  7:12am Jan 28 2018
susieq  7:39pm Jan 28 2018
Lauren Mikles  7:18pm Jan 29 2018
Lauren Mikles  7:12pm Jan 29 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
25 February 2018