Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Badly Broken Tibia and Femur Coming Home
dcb_Debra    3:41pm Feb 12 2018

Hi Eric. First, the emotional side. She's probably going to get depressed: look up the 'five stages of injury grief' - expect her to go through these - sometimes twice a day! Do NOT tell her that 'it could be worse'. Just sympathise and acknowledge that it's a horrible situation to be in.

It IS possible to come through a broken leg and get back to normal mobility. I only had a much smaller injury (broken fibula) but I'm back to ultramarathon running. When she gets that far (will be months down the line), make sure she does the physio exercises - really important, so encourage her. It's amazing what the human body is capable of healing, given time and effort.

Practical stuff: think about clothing and what will go over the cast, whether than means skirts she can pull on over her head, or baggy sweatpants. Make sure she has e.g. a small backpack or something she can carry stuff in while she's on crutches. Does she like hot drinks? A leak-proof travel mug or similar for carrying drinks would be good. Consider getting a largish bean bag that her leg can rest on when it needs to be elevated (pretty much all the time she's sitting or lying down) because the leg can rest sort of in it and she won't have to worry about it falling off the side like with pillows.

Invest in a full length leg cast protector so that when she's strong enough she has the option of showering. If you have a shower head over the bath it's easier (I sat on a stool in the bath, with my leg up on a partly-deflated Swiss ball (exercise ball). Good luck!

She's going to need her friends coming to see her, not leaving her alone. Get her outside when you can, in green surroundings. Note that some people will stare at her and she might find that hard.

Fibula Fx lat. malleolus Weber B 12 June 2015
ORIF plate 18 June. Cast problems (allodynia) so boot from 25th but NWB.
25 July start PWB in boot, 7 Aug PWB without boot. 14th Aug few steps FWB.
9 Sept 10-steps jog 25 Sept: PT says go run!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Badly Broken Tibia and Femur Coming Home  new
Eric Kizer  10:45am Feb 12 2018
 Re: Badly Broken Tibia and Femur Coming Home  new
dcb_Debra  3:41pm Feb 12 2018
 Re: Badly Broken Tibia and Femur Coming Home  new
MichelleT  12:14pm Feb 13 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
19 August 2018