Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: 10 weeks and still struggling
dcb_Debra    6:02am Feb 19 2018

Sympathies. You've come to the right place with this, as we do know, from experience, how it feels. I'm an ultramarathon runner and I very well remember what it felt like being stuck on the sofa, not getting any exercise. And (to add insult to injury) gaining weight (or as I put it to my husband, "I can't run and I can't eat either!").

Is there any chance that you can go swimming? Get on an exercise bike? How about weight exercises you can do for your upper body - something where you can maybe feel some progress to counteract the frustration with your leg?

As for the PT exercises, I found it helpful to keep a diary and tick off every time I did the exercises - and then show this to the physiotherapist next time I went in (both carrot and stick here: felt good about ticking them off, and didn't want to have to show I'd not being doing them when I had promised to do so). Don't think any physio went as far as suggesting lunges - it was mostly towel stretches and resistance band work (see http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/patient-information-leaflets/physiotherapy-ankle-fracture.htm), later also balance exercises, but I was able to chart my progress in knee-to-wall distance (how far away from the wall your toes can be that you can still, bending your knee and ankle, touch the wall with your knee) - which was one of the exercises I was supposed to do anyway. Whatever you do, DO THE EXERCISES - you WILL progress, eventually, and they WILL make a difference - in fact they are essential.

There are a number of articles online that suggest ways to motivate yourself to do the physio exercises. Having a goal is one of them: remind yourself you are doing this so you will be able to do X later (for me that was "return to ultramarathon running".

Regarding being tired, remember your body is doing a LOT of work regrowing muscles at the moment, so of course you are going to be tired. Make sure you're getting good nutrition, with enough protein (of whatever sort works for you), plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and vitamin D supplements (unless you're in e.g. Australia and getting loads of natural sunlight).

Some people also find it's useful to keep a written/computer diary into which they put all their frustrations and achievements - just writing down the frustrations can be helpful as it gets it out (without your feeling you are being a burden on your friends/family and without having to listen to them reply saying how it could be worse, etc.)

And regarding your boyfriend, when you feel you can, give him a big hug and thank him for coping with you at the moment.

Good luck, persevere, and vent here when you need to!

Fibula Fx lat. malleolus Weber B 12 June 2015
ORIF plate 18 June. Cast problems (allodynia) so boot from 25th but NWB.
25 July start PWB in boot, 7 Aug PWB without boot. 14th Aug few steps FWB.
9 Sept 10-steps jog 25 Sept: PT says go run!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

10 weeks and still struggling  new
llandon63  9:46pm Feb 18 2018
 Re: 10 weeks and still struggling  new
dcb_Debra  6:02am Feb 19 2018
Kasia  1:46pm Feb 19 2018
Lisa Bouchat  2:28pm Feb 19 2018
Robert Zambenini  10:51pm Feb 19 2018
Pauline M Hall  10:45am Feb 22 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
22 September 2018