Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Snow, Ice, dog walking and i badly broke my leg
dcb_Debra    7:57am Mar 3 2018

Hi Pete, sympathies on joining the club. Spiral fractures sounds correct, especially given how you say you got them.

The plaster is that large because in order to keep the broken bones still they need to immobilise the joints above and below the fracture (break) site - so both the ankle and the knee.

If they didn't tell you, you need to keep that leg elevated as much as possible - sit in bed or lengthways on a sofa, with your injured leg up on pillows or a large bean bag. At night, sleep on your back with the leg up on pillows/beanbag. It's important because the circulatin of blood/fluids in your leg depends on your muscles squeezing the veins to take blood back towards your heart - that's not happening with the leg in plaster so you need to let gravity do the job for you.

Time scale: you're looking at 2-3 months on crutches, maybe longer. If the bones have been set correctly and the fracture is stable they may leave you in a full-leg paster (no operation). otherwise they will operate to stabilise the tibia (main bone) and possibly the fibula (smaller bone). If they do operate you might graduate to a below-the-knee cast.

Did the yexplain how to go up and down stairs? Good legs go to heaven, bad legs go to hell: So on the way up the stairs, it's good leg first, then crutches and (not touching the floor!) bad leg. Going down the stairs it's crutches and bad leg first, then good leg. If possible use crutch-plus-hand-rail and get someone to bring the other crutch - more stable.

At the start you're not going to want to move much. Have kettle, mugs, tea/coffee, snacks etc. by the sofa. If you don't have a lidded container in which you can carry food from kichen to wherever while on crutches, get one. And a small bag/backpack you can wear to carry stuff.

Start thinking what you're going to do during the next couple of months. If you can organise to work form home, do that as soon as your head is clear enough. If not, then it's time to: read a book series/binge-watch a TV series/learn a new language/complete an online course/get going with a craft project you can do sitting down. You want at least 2-3 of those to keep you occupied.

Once the snow and ice has gone, get outside when you can and into green spaces - it's good for you. Take plenty of vitamin D - most people in the UK are deficient in winter.

Wash with a cloth sitting by the sink at the moment - cover the cast with a plastic bag abd a towel. Later you might want to buy or jury-rig a cast cover so you can shower - e.g. sitting on a plastic stool in the bath and with your leg elevated and held up securely (I used a Swiss ball (exercise ball) with some of the air let out).

Note: getting depressed/frustrated is a normal reaction!

Good luck - and ask more questions here as needed.

Fibula Fx lat. malleolus Weber B 12 June 2015
ORIF plate 18 June. Cast problems (allodynia) so boot from 25th but NWB.
25 July start PWB in boot, 7 Aug PWB without boot. 14th Aug few steps FWB.
9 Sept 10-steps jog 25 Sept: PT says go run!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Snow, Ice, dog walking and i badly broke my leg  new
Pete White  3:17am Mar 3 2018
 Re: Snow, Ice, dog walking and i badly broke my leg  new
dcb_Debra  7:57am Mar 3 2018
Halo Steve  8:31am Mar 3 2018
Robert Zambenini  9:42am Mar 3 2018
dcb_Debra  12:09pm Mar 3 2018
Amy Lynne  10:12am Mar 3 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
22 September 2018