Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Medial Malleolar Fracture - Week 3 - Depressed and Anxious
Caoimhin    1:17am Mar 12 2018

Iím entering my third week post injury. I fractured a large portion of my medial malleolus in a skiing accident. The fracture was non-displaced, and the orthopedist (after 1 week) believed that everything was so well positioned, ďI could not do anything surgically better than what you already have.Ē

So, for better or worse, no surgery. At this same visit, she pointed out a small fracture on the fibula, which I still canít see on the X-ray, and which wasnít mentioned st the ED, but Iíll trust that itís there. Regardless, no surgery still. Iíve been in a short leg cast, NWB for the three weeks.

My follow up is in one week. I believe the plan is to transition to a boot and reevaluate the weight bearing status at that time (i.e. whether to remain NWB or attempt some PWB with crutches).

I was hoping to get some general thoughts on anyone who has had this type of injury, as well as specifically:

I just had a ďscareĒ about fifteen minutes ago, where I slipped climbing the stairs with my crutches. I didnít fall or bear weight, but I did bump the front of the cast (right where the foot meets the ankle) pretty hard into the stair. It caused some pain to the front of the shin, but not exactly to the injury site. Obviously Iím anxious that Iíve somehow dislodged the bone.

At three weeks, with the bones having been undisplaced, I am hoping that thereís been enough healing or callous formation to have prevented displacement from that bump. As I said, it doesnít feel as if Iím in any additional pain following the shock of the strike. Iím also a bit comforted by the fact that the injury remained nondisplaced despite me having skied down the mountain after the fall that caused the fracture(s). Although the boot probably helped preserve positioning.

Iím thoroughly depressed like so many others, because such simple things like self care and basic housekeeping have become exhausting chores. My physical fitness has atrophied (even my resting heart rate has increased a bit as Iíve been so sedentary).

Anyway, itís nice to have a community of people who ďget itĒ.

Any thoughts on the ďbumpĒ describes above? With my next fu in a week, Iím inclined to just wait until then.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Medial Malleolar Fracture - Week 3 - Depressed and Anxious  new
Caoimhin  1:17am Mar 12 2018
 Re: Medial Malleolar Fracture - Week 3 - Depressed and Anxious  new
Ange  9:54am Mar 12 2018
Caoimhin  5:27pm Mar 16 2018
Ange  6:36pm Mar 16 2018
Caoimhin  2:10am Mar 20 2018
Ange  12:54pm Mar 20 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
23 June 2018