Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Hardware removal
ASR    10:46pm May 4 2018

Hi Erin, It's been 10 years since I had 2 HWR's (3 months apart) after an ankle fracture.

The first HWR was 3 screws from my fibula, and 2 from my tibia. I had it done under local anesthesia. It wasn't bad. The worst part was the numbing shot itself. There was a quick "bee string" when a couple of the screws had to be broken free of the bone, but it was over quickly. I had no hesitation going back 3 months later and having 2 more screws and a plate removed under local anesthesia. The bone had grown over the plate a bit, and my OS struggled to break it free, but I didn't feel a thing.

After a brief rest (to make sure I wouldn't bleed when I stood up) I was allowed to walk out on both legs, and drive myself home after both procedures. I gave my leg 24 hours off after I got home both times. Just rested and elevated, and kept weight off it. After that, as long as I moved slowly and carefully, my pain levels were tolerable, and my comfort level doubled with every passing day. The stitches tugged and stung until they were removed, but that was about it.

Good luck. I hope your experience is like mine was.

Fully recovered from Pilon tib/fib
2 Plates, 10 screws, 2 HWR's,
1 Plate & 3 Screws left
http://picasaweb.google.com/AndreasSnaps/AndreasBrokenAnkle

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Hardware removal  new
Erin Lea  9:27am May 2 2018
 Re: Hardware removal  new
Kate B  8:45pm May 2 2018
Kate B  8:52pm May 2 2018
ASR  10:46pm May 4 2018
samanthaSpr42  12:23am May 23 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
19 November 2018