Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Poll: Anyone Feel 100% Normal???
Alison Rice    7:16pm Jul 15 2018

This is just a note that it might be a good idea to get an MRI if you think you are having some lingering issues post-break and healing.

I broke my right fibula and tibia 5 years ago (spiral break from ice skating accident--ended up with a rod and 3 screws) and while the bone healed fine, I had some lingering issues with my gait when I was running. Thought it was the screws moving, but x-rays showed they hadn't moved and ortho told me I was just getting used to the rod and pins.

Fast forward 3 years, when my right ankle started alternating between between locking up and going out on me. After an MRI, my podiatrist told me that I had a tendon that was 2/3 torn and another tendon that was "so stretched out as to be nonfunctional," but that the real problem (!) was the 1-cm-and-growing crack in my ankle cartilage (an osteochondral lesion). He also said he was surprised that I was as functional as I was in terms of getting around. The indications seem to be that these issues were caused by or started when I had the fracture, but that they never showed up when I went to the orthopedist because x-rays don't show soft tissues like cartilage or tendons. So over time they just got worse and worse. Sigh. Last week, I finally had the ankle surgery with a cartilage graft and the tendon repair and now am NWB for the next few weeks.

I am hoping this finally gets me fixed up for good (and 100% normal!) and wanted to share my experience with the group. I know I kept thinking my foot/leg wackiness was due to the screws or the rod, and it turns out that wasn't really the case--instead, it was related damage that required a different type of treatment.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Poll: Anyone Feel 100% Normal???  new
Lauren Mikles  9:24pm Apr 1 2018
 Re: Poll: Anyone Feel 100% Normal???  new
Sox  4:31am Apr 3 2018
Kasia  3:16pm Apr 3 2018
Lauren Mikles  6:17pm Apr 3 2018
Kasia  10:44am Apr 4 2018
Lauren Mikles  5:42pm Apr 4 2018
Kasia  1:17am Apr 7 2018
Alybrokeherleg  5:11am Apr 17 2018
Lauren Mikles  6:18pm Apr 3 2018
Signe  5:35am Apr 4 2018
Lauren Mikles  5:25pm Apr 4 2018
 Hi Signe!  new
ASR  11:02pm May 4 2018
Sox  6:20am Apr 6 2018
AndreaB  6:55am May 28 2018
Alison Rice  7:16pm Jul 15 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
21 September 2018