Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

How long to Heal???
Robert Zambenini (47.149.219.---)   11:08am Aug 18 2018

I am in month 8 following tib/fib spiral fracture. Surgeon kept saying no healing and at month 6 wanted to take out top screws to promote healing. I did some investigating and found there are some issues as I am 85 with erratic cardiac and chance of complications from another surgery so challenged the surgeon. He started looking at all x rays and admitted there is some growth and put off the removing screws for now.

I am also VA patient so had my VA doc to order an evaluation. X rays came back to quote their report:

"There is a distal right tibial metadiaphyseal oblique fracture with evidence of some posterior bridging callus however the majority of the fracture shows no evidence of significant intervening callus."

Report also says hardware is in place with no issues and no other issues such as infection or blood clots.

So I am playing a little golf. Do stairs now both ways. Walking pretty good sometimes without rolling walker. I am very happy with my current activity level and no pain. Not doing any stressful activity to endanger the hardware.

So my questions are how long does it take a fracture to heal and what are the downsides in me going on without removing screws????

12/9/17 Broke Tib Fib in fall on front porch
12/10/17 Surgery to install rod with screws
12 days In Hosp. PT OT rehab
02/14/18 X Ray shows some Tib closure, Fib healed. Continue 25% wb
03/14/18 X Ray no change, start bone growth stimulator

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

How long to Heal???  new
Robert Zambenini  11:08am Aug 18 2018
 Re: How long to Heal???  new
Pauline M Hall  12:02pm Aug 27 2018
Allessandra  6:40pm Aug 30 2018
ASR  11:52pm Sep 9 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
21 September 2018