Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

tough choices after shattered ankle
JEN55    1:18pm Aug 28 2018

hi everyone,

I am actually posting here about an old injury.

I severely shattered my talus about five years ago. I also badly broke numerous other foot bones and sustained major soft tissue damage.

I underwent surgery after the fracture and spent over 6 months in a cast and then another 6 in Darth.

I thought I was healed but went on to develop a whole slew of complications. Mostly related to arthritis and necrosis.

I underwent several surgeries since. Mostly fusions and reconstructions.

I have in some form of boot/brace since and have spent over two cumulative years in a a hard cast.

My latest surgery wasn't so successful unfortunately and according to my OS I am at the end of the road.

He basically gave me a choice of undergoing amputation or of wearing the boot for the rest of my life or until new progress in orthopaedic surgery.

I am rather torn.

I am quite comfortable in the boot and can walk rather well. I have never been keen on active sports so return to such activity is not a major factor.but amputation would mean greater mobility than being dependent on Darth and would be a way of putting this ordeal behind me.

any advice?
anyone heard of being booted for life?

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

tough choices after shattered ankle  new
JEN55  1:18pm Aug 28 2018
 Re: tough choices after shattered ankle  new
ASR  11:30pm Sep 9 2018
 Re: tough choices after shattered ankle  new
Margee Kjelson  7:25pm Sep 18 2018
 ASR and Margee  new
JEN55  1:27pm Sep 23 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
16 November 2018