Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Spiral fractures tibia and fibula-cast versus surgery?
SMM    11:51am Sep 4 2018

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear that you are going through this. How are you doing? I was on this board some time ago and am just dropping in for a visit today. My first break--many, many years ago--involved a tibial spiral fracture. I spent months in a cast, with my then dr. preferring to avoid surgery if natural healing was possible. So I didn't really consider options. But after learning what others have gone through, I would really suggest that you have a lengthy talk with your surgeon/dr./medical professional and ask about any and all pros and cons to either of the options. Each break is different and I believe or think that different options allow for different possibilities. You might ask--1. What might be the benefits of the cast, and vice versa.? 2. If the bone can be aligned and the fractures are not too close to a joint, would time and a cast be the better option? 3. How long can the joints be immobilized without any long term issues arising? And could these outcomes impact long-term quality of life? 4. Even if the bone is aligned, are there any soft tissue injuries (ligaments, muscles, for example) that might benefit a great deal from surgery?.....These are just a few questions that come immediately to mind.

Hope to hear you are doing well.

Best wishes,
Matt

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Spiral fractures tibia and fibula-cast versus surgery?  new
Mark Kendall  2:00am Aug 31 2018
 Re: Spiral fractures tibia and fibula-cast versus surgery?  new
SMM  11:51am Sep 4 2018
 Re: Spiral fractures tibia and fibula-cast versus surgery?  new
Pauline M Hall  7:09am Sep 15 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
16 November 2018