Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Fracture clinic, Friday: no surgery, leg set in full leg cast
Leeís-busted-leg    1:11am Nov 25 2018

I had my fracture clinic appointment on Friday and saw the doctor in charge of my treatment for my broken leg, and itís good news in some ways but bad in others.
As I already knew, Iíve broken both my tibia and fibula and the breaks are approximately 3 inches or so from my ankle joint. Both bones are broken clean in two, but the breaks are ďcleanĒ and have not splintered which is good to know.
Because of this the doctor told me he is as sure as he can be at this point that I do not need to have an operation to fix the breaks. He was excellent I have to say and he explained his reasons really well which made me feel that he knows what he is doing- which isnít always the case with some doctors.
He then explained that Iíll need to be in plaster for quite a while, at least 12 weeks but probably a little more depending on how long it takes the bones to heal.
Iíll go for weekly X-rays for the first few weeks until heís sure the bones are in alignment to mend themselves properly.
I got put in a new, full cast in the plaster room: itís made from plaster mainly with a layer of synthetic tape on the top, the nurses explained that this gives the cast more strength.
Its a full leg cast - for those who have been fortunate never to have one be thankful. It begins at my foot/toes and stops at the top of my leg/crotch area.
I have new crutches (the ones that go under the armpit not the elbow ones) which they said should be better wifh this type of cast, not sure about that!
Iíll hire a wheelchair from them when they let me: I canít put any weight through my leg at all and you may imagine that getting around on crutches with a large cast is tricky to say the least.They want me to rest as much as possible and think getting a wheelchair may become to be more active: to be honest I donít want to move much at all as when I do my leg swells up.
Eventually i get a shorter cast that theyíll mould to my knee but it will end there so I can bend my knee - but thatís a way off . They estimate Iíll Iíll need to be in a full leg cast for 2-3 months.
Its making for a difficult time. Everything is a massive problem and it all boils down to not being able to bend my knee.
My partner and I will no doubt find ways to manage this cast but any advice greatly appreciated as itís just plain awkward!
Itís an emotional rollercoaster Iím finding since breaking my leg: I kind of feel my life has been flipped upside down.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Fracture clinic, Friday: no surgery, leg set in full leg cast  new
Leeís-busted-leg  1:11am Nov 25 2018
 Re: Fracture clinic, Friday: no surgery, leg set in full leg cast  new
WB  7:18am Nov 25 2018
Embonious  2:20pm Nov 25 2018
Pauline M Hall  2:30am Nov 30 2018
Jessieberenson  8:10am Dec 8 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
19 December 2018