Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: broken and depressed
Embonious    10:27am Dec 4 2018

Hi Rosie, I understand how you feel.
As far as I've read here and elsewhere, emotional distress is very normal. You may be experiencing situational depression, too, as the result of your currently life changing injury.
(I am repeating this all the time as I post, but just for your info, I have a compound tibia/fibia fracture, had emergency OIRF surgery to insert an IM rod and 5 nails, as the result of being hit by a car) I have written some diaries on here that go into a lot more detail (I'm Emily V on the home page) but I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress about 3 or 4 weeks after my injury. Just to learn that it was normal to experience the emotional trauma after a huge and traumatic injury helped a lot. I am 12 weeks in to my recovery and I feel mostly normal, although I still do experience the emotional turmoil now and then.
I strongly recommend talking to your doctor about this. They should be able to recommend some therapy or counseling if you feel the need, but at least in my experience, the doctor was immensely helpful in just talking me through what this kind of injury means, emotionally. I don't think all doctors are that kind and empathetic, but making yourself heard is a good start.
I hope you are doing well today, and I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.
-Emily

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

broken and depressed  new
Rosalind Whitmore  10:05am Dec 4 2018
 Re: broken and depressed  new
Embonious  10:27am Dec 4 2018
 Re: broken and depressed  new
Nicola Stan  12:27pm Dec 4 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
19 December 2018