Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: lateral tibial plateau fracture
Embonious    10:53am Dec 4 2018

Hi Beth, so sorry to hear about your accident. I was also hit by a car, so I feel you on that whole experience. I wrote some diaries (Emily V on the home page) if you're interested in my experience. I'm really glad to hear your dog is unscathed!
I had an open compound tibia/fibia fracture, with an IM nail and 5 screws inserted. I am on week 12 of recovery currently. I just went to the hospital today for a checkup. My healing has been going apace, and they are considering removing a screw to encourage the bone to heal faster. Healing is super individual, which is frustrating because it's hard to predict. I recommend compiling a list of questions for your doc between visits, so you can remember to ask about all these little questions that may be causing anxiety. Generally as you get more used to having a broken bone, you get more used to understanding how it's doing, as I'm sure you already know considering you\re a fracture veteran!
More movement leading to more swelling is SO normal. I still see this the moment I spend slightly more time with my foot down, or if I am out and about. However, if anything is bothering you enough so you're having trouble getting it out of your mind, ask your doctor about it. I felt stupid for going to the emergency room on a saturday night one week after my discharge for touching down with the toes of my broken leg, but getting rid of the stress of not knowing whether or not I screwed up my hardware/broken bones was absolutely worth it.
Regarding rain/snow and crutches, I have found the most dangerous part is transitioning from a wet surface to a dry, tiled one. I carry a cloth to make sure I can dry my crutches before going inside, as I have slipped several times and it's awful. I haven't encountered much ice, but I wonder if there are some kind of bottoms you can add to your crutches for extra grip? I will let you know if I run across that.
Anyway, hope you're doing well today and healing up!!
Emily

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

lateral tibial plateau fracture  new
Beth T  9:37am Dec 4 2018
 Re: lateral tibial plateau fracture  new
Embonious  10:53am Dec 4 2018
Beth T  9:02am Dec 17 2018
Nicola Stan  12:37pm Dec 4 2018
Kate B  6:22pm Dec 6 2018
Beth T  9:18am Dec 17 2018
Beth T  9:10am Dec 17 2018

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
19 December 2018