Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: dealing with people who don't get it
SMM    2:07pm Jan 11 2019

Hi Emily,

Congratulations on the progress. So good to hear that you are getting better.

And you are absolutely on target about some people and their interactions. I don't think they mean any ill, but I think it is difficult or maybe impossible to relate unless one has gone through the trauma. I found some people must have thought a broken leg was contagious, so they tended to avoidance. Other said things out of ignorance (or I hope not malice). Some of my favourite memories are of the really stupid, clueless comments ('Why did you break your leg?" for example).

As far as actually explaining going through the recovery, I found that took some time with some people. I noticed most times people would offer statements of encouragement (or so they thought), but when they asked a question, any question, I could acknowledge the effort and they eventually kept going with questions. That allowed me to actually communicate how difficult or good things might be be on any day. So even if anyone managed even a 'how are you?" or 'how's the leg?" I learned to say thanks and go on with 'that's a great question. Hope you'll keep asking." It did help some people realize how difficult the recovery was.

Best wishes,
Matt

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

dealing with people who don't get it  new
Embonious  12:33pm Jan 10 2019
 Re: dealing with people who don't get it  new
Nicola Stan  4:06am Jan 11 2019
Embonious  4:20am Jan 11 2019
Nicola Stan  5:05am Jan 11 2019
Embonious  6:36am Jan 12 2019
 Hi Nicola  new
SMM  2:13pm Jan 11 2019
 Re: Hi Nicola  new
Nicola Stan  2:42pm Jan 12 2019
 Re: Hi Nicola  new
SMM  10:11pm Jan 12 2019
SMM  2:07pm Jan 11 2019
Embonious  6:29am Jan 12 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
18 April 2019