Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Waiting to see orthopedic dr
MaKayla    12:27pm Jan 12 2019

Hello!
This sounds very familiar to what I have done. I broke my right ankle in 3 places as well, end of fibula, inside and back. It's called a Trimalleoular (spelling?) fracture. A year and a half ago I broke my left ankle fibula with dislocation and had surgery's. One to put in hardware plus two sydesmotic screws and one to remove the two syndesmotic screws. I still have a plate and screws in on that ankle.
My right ankle break which sounds almost exactly like yours happened last Thursday at work. Fell down the stairs. I am thankful that I was coherent and stood my ground on not going to the ER. I was terrified of getting there and being told to wait to see an Orthopedic. I insisted on going to a clinic/orthopedic ER that we have in Wisconsin (USA) called the Ortho ASAP clinic. I was seen right away Thursday night by an Orthopedic and told that I needed surgery. He said that this type of break was only fixable by surgery but reassured me it would only be one unless I chose to have the hardware removed. He sent me home for the weekend to bring swelling down and scheduled surgery for this past Monday.
So although it absolutely sucks to have to wait it may not be the most terrible thing. You have to bring the swelling down if it calls for surgery anyways. Gosh I know how annoying it is. I spent all last weekend freaking out that they were going to turn me away due to the swelling. The thought of another surgery was daunting as I am a plus size girl and had some complications the last time but I'm almost glad I had it. Dr told me 6 weeks after the surgery, depending on healing, I will be walking with either a brace or a boot and should be driving shortly after that. PT not necessarily needed but he will send me if I want.
When I look up these types of fractures they all seem to tell me different things so I think theres alot of different variables that go into a prognosis.

You could try calling an ortho center and tell them your in alot of pain, see if they can squeeze you in. Did the ER prescribe any pain meds? Before surgery I was told to stay on top of pain and not let it get bad. I was using my prescription at night and alternating tylenol and ibuprofen during the day along with lots of distraction measures.

I hope this helps! I feel like a freaking pro a this and since our injuries sound oddly similar I had to write in. Let me know if you have more questions or just want to talk, distraction can do wonders for pain. Hang in there :)

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Waiting to see orthopedic dr  new
MDinpaintimes2  7:41am Jan 12 2019
 Re: Waiting to see orthopedic dr  new
MaKayla  12:27pm Jan 12 2019
MDinpaintimes2  9:09am Jan 14 2019
Embonious  3:00pm Jan 14 2019
SMM  10:19pm Jan 12 2019
MDinpaintimes2  9:13am Jan 14 2019
WB  11:52am Jan 13 2019
MDinpaintimes2  9:17am Jan 14 2019
SMM  11:49am Jan 16 2019
WB  1:35pm Jan 18 2019
MDinpaintimes2  1:36am Jan 21 2019
WB  12:47pm Jan 21 2019
SMM  2:50pm Jan 24 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
20 July 2019