Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: How has your broken leg changed yourself?
Embonious    7:20am Feb 16 2019

This is a great question and one that I think about fairly often.
My broken leg happened in such an extreme situation, being hit by a car, that I thought I was about to die of internal bleeding in the first 30 seconds following being hit, and then quickly re calibrated to this weird calm that had me thinking calmly about how calm I was despite this crazy thing that was happening to me. I was so emotionally removed from the situation the paramedics estimated that I had a pain level of 3/4 out of 10, which is still one of my favorite anecdotes of the whole ordeal.. if being hit by a car and a compound open fracture of the leg, cracked ribs, and a mangled hand is 3-4, what is a 10??? :D Anyway, I really appreciate knowing how I react in a crisis. It somehow gave my confidence to get through the worst part of recovery, to remind myself that I'm tough and can do it. I also had this strong feeling that I was a changed person after the accident, the first full day in the hospital. I felt like my life was altered in a way that I still don't fully comprehend, but I think I'm much more grateful for having a comfortable life despite having the same stressors (money, work, etc) as I did before.
I am still dealing with the stress responses I get from being around moving cars, loud noises, or sirens.. I don't think I will ever look at a car the same. I also feel much more aware of what people may be going through that we can't see, and I think this will make me more patient when dealing with slow people going forward.
And lastly I feel like my relationship with my boyfriend got much more intimate and wonderful. We have been together for about 3 years, and we had only moved in together about 5 weeks before I was hit. He did and does such a good job helping me, listening, and encouraging me.. that is something I'm so grateful for.

14 Sept 2018- hit by car, compound open tib/fib fracture, emergency surgery IM nail + 5 screws
19 Sept 2018- released from hospital, NWB
22 Oct 2018- allowed max 30% PWB
04 Dec 2018- working towards 100% WB indoors
18 Feb 2019- First steps!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

How has your broken leg changed yourself?  new
Nicola Stan  1:58pm Feb 14 2019
 Re: How has your broken leg changed yourself?  new
Petros  8:28am Feb 15 2019
SMM  1:26pm Feb 15 2019
Embonious  7:20am Feb 16 2019
Nicola Stan  3:17am Feb 17 2019
Embonious  8:27am Feb 17 2019
SMM  2:20am Feb 18 2019
Embonious  5:27am Feb 18 2019
SMM  4:19pm Feb 18 2019
Nicola Stan  11:06am Feb 18 2019
SMM  4:22pm Feb 18 2019
 or is this relatable?  new
SMM  5:06pm Feb 18 2019
MaKayla  4:44pm Feb 18 2019
Nicola Stan  5:43am Feb 19 2019
Embonious  8:04am Feb 19 2019
SMM  12:16am Feb 20 2019
Petros  4:04am Feb 19 2019
nina8  11:44pm Jul 26 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
17 September 2019