Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: How has your broken leg changed yourself?
Embonious    8:27am Feb 17 2019

Hi Nicky!
I am sorry to hear you're going through a low point.
I agree with you 100%- when I think how I'm different I immediately focus on the nicer aspects without thinking about it, because it is tough to confront the less great consequences. I absolutely deal with the same fear factor you describe- going outside is tough for me as I live in a city, and so often I'd prefer to just stay in even if I crave a new environment- the idea of crutches, cars, and lots of people is really stressful. I also think about things I used to do without a though- hiking, climbing, slacklining, skiing- and I wonder if I'll reach a point where I'm not afraid of injury when doing anything more than walking on my own two feet.
I also often feel ungrateful or something whenever I hear others who had horrible crazt injuries where they were in the middle of nowhere or had to endure 12 hour long ambulance rides... and here's me who had to wait for a whopping 30 minutes before I was in urgent care. :)
Last week I took my first walk without crutches outside, for a grand total of two minutes, and by the return hobble I was feeling lots of pain and also serious vulnerability because I can't run or move quickly, and it feels scary to be injured and in public! I felt really down about it, and my boyfriend starting telling me how great it was that I managed that, but it's really hard at times to celebrate a victory like that when it's so much less than I am used to, having never had an injury on this scale in all my 29 years. Frankly, it often feels underwhelming, and especially when I'm worn down from an extra painful or swollen day. We often have expectations of being a "model patient" and it's not realistic. The guilt is unnecessary but still present.
And lastly just the lingering stress from being hit by the car intrudes on my sleep fairly often, and it seems to go through periods where I feel almost completely recovered and flair ups where I have dreams of being hit or panicky feelings throughout the night.
Anyway, I hope you are getting some sun (although I know you're in the UK...)! We've had springlike weather the past few days and I got some time in the sun yesterday.. it felt magical. Sending you well wishes for a good week! xo

14 Sept 2018- hit by car, compound open tib/fib fracture, emergency surgery IM nail + 5 screws
19 Sept 2018- released from hospital, NWB
22 Oct 2018- allowed max 30% PWB
04 Dec 2018- working towards 100% WB indoors
18 Feb 2019- First steps!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

How has your broken leg changed yourself?  new
Nicola Stan  1:58pm Feb 14 2019
 Re: How has your broken leg changed yourself?  new
Petros  8:28am Feb 15 2019
SMM  1:26pm Feb 15 2019
Embonious  7:20am Feb 16 2019
Nicola Stan  3:17am Feb 17 2019
Embonious  8:27am Feb 17 2019
SMM  2:20am Feb 18 2019
Embonious  5:27am Feb 18 2019
SMM  4:19pm Feb 18 2019
Nicola Stan  11:06am Feb 18 2019
SMM  4:22pm Feb 18 2019
 or is this relatable?  new
SMM  5:06pm Feb 18 2019
MaKayla  4:44pm Feb 18 2019
Nicola Stan  5:43am Feb 19 2019
Embonious  8:04am Feb 19 2019
SMM  12:16am Feb 20 2019
Petros  4:04am Feb 19 2019
nina8  11:44pm Jul 26 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
17 September 2019