Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Broken Fibia and Tibula with closed reduction surgery
Nicola Stan    6:54am Apr 6 2019

Hi Agata,

First of all, let me introduce myself I am Nicky and I broke my tib and fib last year....Cough cough, I know a lady should not disclose her age but I am nearly the same age as you, bar a few months! I joined the 'heavy metal' club and have a plate, screws, 23 staples last July so am about 8 months into my breakage. I also broke a rib last year falling off my mountain bike, just as I was recovering BOOM, I broke my leg getting out of a hot tub in the garden - no alcohol involved, just a little water on the bottom step.....

It's not just the leg that breaks is it? It's your mind and boy does the mind like to play tricks on you, worrying you, telling you 'un truths' ect ect. My mind was (and still is sometimes) the devil!!!! During my recovery I have let these thoughts get the better of me - not suprising when you can;t walk / drive / lose independence ect. At the beginning when I couldn;t do too much I watched Netflix a lot, I found this really really took my mind of my pain, sometimes I would watch a film and congratulate myself I hadn't thought of my leg for an hour !!

I also asked for help from my family, something that I had never needed to do before and you know what - they loved helping me, they gave me company even when I cried or was down feeling. I actually 'found' my sister again and even though I wouldn't wish a broken leg on anybody, I feel lucky that this life incident gave me my sister back....life is strange isn't it, positives even out of the worst life can throw at you....

DO NOT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT NOT BEING PRODUCTIVE.....your leg is being productive, believe you and me - underneath all the metal and staples, your bones and soft tissue are doing their best, all your energy is going into your leg at the mo and this includes emotional energy. I cried at adverts on the tv and didn't feel myself for a bit, I do now feel me but in a different way. I wouldn't choose to break a leg but I've made the best (well my best anyway) of a terrible situation and somedays its crap and somedays it's good. Be kind to yourself and 'talk' to yourself when you worry. Of course you will walk again, it will just take time....Of course you will drive again, it just takes time. Patience is a pain, but a virtue :-) Crotcheting eh? Now that sounds productive - I cook and have found birds in my garden, and the stars!!!!!!!! I'm just getting into insects at the mo - we have tons of varieties of bees just now, amazing. We also have 2 blue tits making a nest in my garden.....See!!!!!!!! Things that never interested me before suddenly amazes me......Give yourself time to recover and 'ride' the bad times with your inner strength, even if that means watching Netflix, really really really good programmes on.

Take very good care

Nicky x

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Broken Fibia and Tibula with closed reduction surgery  new
Agata Gadek  11:42pm Apr 5 2019
 Re: Broken Fibia and Tibula with closed reduction surgery  new
Nicola Stan  6:54am Apr 6 2019
Agata Gadek  7:53am Apr 6 2019
Nicola Stan  8:05am Apr 6 2019
Michael Davison  10:14am Apr 8 2019
Edzen Espina  6:35pm Apr 8 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
24 June 2019