Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Broken fibula, torn tendon@6 weeks
Embonious    6:53am May 3 2019

Hey Mary Ann,

I hope you're doing well.
Having a broken leg has made me so much more able to empathize with every kind of injury. I was (in a sense) lucky that my injury happened in a dramatic enough way that even people who have never experienced a serious injury understood it was severe- I think it would have almost been more difficult had I been injured in a "normal" way.. because people make the assumption you'll be up and about in no time, and hardly anyone understands the emotional impact of being helpless, feeling unable and vulnerable.
I hope you are healing up and taking each day as it comes. I struggled a lot with being dependent, especially in the beginning when I couldn't even wash my hair by myself, but in the end my injury has been a pretty excellent bonding experience, good and bad included :)
Anyway, regarding weight bearing- I had ORIF surgery, so I can't attest to how it feels to bear weight without a bunch of metal holding things together, but I have found that things adjust pretty quickly as you start a new movement. I am still weak in terms of endurance, my leg still pretty easily gets puffy and painful, but if I compare even the first two weeks of walking, there were huge advances as I got used to the added weight and movement. I'm guessing you'll find you re-adjust relatively quickly. With each regained freedom, life becomes a lot better- I still am not sure when I'll return to pre-fractures activity, but I still feel loads better despite my gimpy leg and limited abilities. I have videoed my walking throughout to send to my parents, mainly, but it's cool to have a record of how far I've come in just a few months. I recommend it if you're feeling like you're not seeing the progress you want.
Sending you healing thoughts!
-Emily

14 Sept 2018- hit by car, compound open tib/fib fracture, ORIF surgery to insert IM nail + 5 screws
19 Sept 2018- released from hospital, no cast, NWB
22 Oct 2018- 30% PWB, started physio
04 Dec 2018- working towards 100% WB indoors

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Broken fibula, torn tendon@6 weeks  new
MaryAnn952  4:57pm Apr 30 2019
 Re: Broken fibula, torn tendon@6 weeks  new
Michael Davison  6:44am May 1 2019
 Greetings Michael Re: Broken fibula, torn tendon@6 weeks  new
SMM  2:46pm May 1 2019
 Re: Greetings Michael Re: Broken fibula, torn tendon@6 weeks  new
Michael Davison  7:58am May 2 2019
SMM  9:27am May 2 2019
Michael Davison  6:51am May 10 2019
SMM  2:50pm May 1 2019
MaryAnn952  9:19pm May 1 2019
SMM  9:33am May 2 2019
Embonious  6:53am May 3 2019
MaryAnn952  12:32pm May 4 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
23 May 2019