Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Ruptured achilles-plaster from toes to thigh
Michael.B (82.132.243.---)   5:39am May 9 2019

Hi all - just a quick update:
I had my fracture clinic appointment last week (Friday) and saw my consultant orthopaedic surgeon who discussed with me the treatment options. He told me that in his opinion, based on my age and level of physical activity, the best option for treating my Achilles is not to operate but to put it in a series of casts...
They applied my first cast at the appointment: my whole leg is in plaster from my toes to the top of my thigh, and they have set my foot so my toes point straight to the floor to allow the ends of the Achilles to come together. I wear this cast for 6 weeks and then get another one with my foot set more towards a right angle to my leg.
Itís going to be a long haul to recovery - 4 months or thereabouts in plaster and then rehabilitation afterwards.
The plus side is no surgery.
This cast is incredibly incredibly difficult to have to wear - Iíve got a wheelchair because using crutches long distances is almost impossible due to my foot and toes position in the plaster and that I cannot move my knee. Itís unpleasant to say the least and uncomfortable as you may well imagine.
I hope you are all healing well.

23rd April ruptured achilles left leg. Temporary plaster splint (full leg equinus)

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Ruptured achilles-plaster from toes to thigh  new
Michael.B  5:39am May 9 2019
 Re: Ruptured achilles-plaster from toes to thigh  new
WB  6:52am May 9 2019
Michael Davison  6:44am May 10 2019
B.John  11:20am May 19 2019
WB  3:49am May 20 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
23 May 2019