Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Newly broken
zd80 (50.32.215.---)   12:17pm May 12 2019

Hello all. As you can probably see by the subject title, I am new to this whole broken leg thing. I came across this site while researching the predicament I currently find myself in.
I had been lucky enough through the first 38 years of my life, to never have broken anything worse than a finger or two or the occasional toe. That all changed this past Tuesday. In all honesty, I'm slightly embarrassed by how the injury transpired considering all of the much more hazardous activities I have taken part in throughout the years but I guess it just goes to show how life can change in the blink of an eye. It was so beautiful out that day, and after work I had decided it was too nice to stay indoors. So I grabbed my gear and headed to the stream nearby my house for a little relaxing trout fishing....that's right, I broke my leg fishing if all things. I'm kind of glad nobody was immediately around to see it when it happened because it was definitely not one of my most graceful moments! I had just got there and was navigating the little rock wall "steps" you need to go down to enter the creek when my boot slipped and I started to fall forward. Being only a few feet from the bottom a could choose to "ride it out " or kind of leap forward with one foot and try to stick the landing. In an instant, I chose the latter and it proved to be the wrong choice. Although, I have my doubts that "riding out" the slide would have turned out better but who knows? Anyway, I knew I was going to land just a foot or so into the water and in a split second I picked a spot. I stuck my left foot out to land and I came down in the very shallow edge of the creek...not good. Lots of little rocks and very uneven/ unstable ground. Immediately upon impacting the ground, I felt my ankle roll on the rocks covering the creek bed. Next, as my ankle rolled and jammed into the rocks, all my weight came down on my awkwardly planted left leg. At that moment, I felt and heard a slight snap in my leg. Instinct made me try to stay on my feet as my uninjured right leg landed and I tried to hop once. But the pain was immediately intense and I knew I was in trouble and went down. I was getting soaked sitting in about 6-7 inches of water but I couldn't get up at first, the pain was just too severe. After a few minutes though, the initial "rush " of pain was over and I started to get a grip on my situation. I slid myself over to drier ground and assessed my leg. Tried to pull my boot off but NO WAY was that happening! They were rubber so I just used my knife to cut it off. My ankle had begun swelling immediately after the injury and by now, just a few minutes later, already did not look good. Despite everything looking like it was where it was supposed to be, no crooked spots, or dangling foot, I knew it did not look right. In top of that, I couldn't move my foot even slightly without crazy pain, or flex my knee too far without stabbing pain in my shin...not good. Well, I couldn't stay where I was so ever so gently I crawled my way back up to the top of the rock steps. As I was reaching the top, I saw a lady coming at me riding her bicycle on the road. She stopped and asked if everything was ok and I told her I had just messed up my leg down there and didn't think I should or even could walk. She got off her bike and helped me up and over to my vehicle. She told me she was a nurse at the children's hospital (I know right? What's the chances?) and maybe I should let her take a look at it. I agreed and she quickly inspected my ankle and leg. "I don't want to scare you, but I think you should go to the hospital and get this checked out. If I had to guess, I'd say you probably fractured something in there ". She offered to call an ambulance but I declined and said I would call my girlfriend to come pick me up. I thanked her for all her assistance and she promised to wait there with me until my girlfriend arrived. She was so kind to have done that. When my girlfriend got there, the 2 if them assisted in loading me into her car and getting situated. Soon we were off to the ER. I won't bore everybody with the details of the ER visit here s I'm sure, if you're on this site, you are well aware of what goes on there. In the end, turns out I've fractured my ankle, have a grade 2 high-style sprain, and a non-displaced hair-line fracture of my tibia about 5 inches or so above my ankle....OUCH! They gave me an option, surgery or not. They said because it was broken in more than one place, surgery might be best but because everything seemed well aligned, they didn't think it was absolutely necessary. So we decided to wait and see how things looked once the swelling subsided in a week or two. They put me in a backslab soft-cast all the way up to the top of my leg only a few inches from my crotch and made me an appointment for next Friday to follow up and see what's next.
So here I am sitting with this giant splint thingy covering my entire leg, propped up on a mountain of pillows just trying to survive to my next appointment where I'll hopefully learn what's next. Needless to say, it's incredibly difficult to get around with this thing. Not only the sheer size of it makes it tough, but the pain that comes with doing anything but propping it up is pretty much keeping me couch ridden. I feel bad for my girlfriend having to wait on me hand and foot but I'm kind of useless at this point. I guess it's only the beginning though.
I'd like to ask any of you who have been this already or who are currently going through it for any advice that might make things easier or little tricks you may have found out to help in getting around or even helping with recovery. I also wonder, if given the choice of surgery or not at my next appointment, what should I expect of either choice? And what would you pick? Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear back soon.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Newly broken  new
zd80  12:17pm May 12 2019
 Re: Newly broken  new
Jacso  12:56pm May 12 2019
zd80  8:37pm May 12 2019
Jacso  3:10am May 13 2019
Jacso  3:15am May 13 2019
zd80  5:41am May 13 2019
Edzen Espina  9:02pm May 14 2019
zd80  3:40pm May 15 2019
Edzen Espina  2:59am May 17 2019
Embonious  1:30am May 13 2019
zd80  6:30am May 13 2019
WB  3:58am May 13 2019
zd80  6:52am May 13 2019
WB  7:14am May 13 2019
zd80  8:07am May 13 2019
Embonious  11:35am May 13 2019
WB  3:55am May 14 2019
zd80  4:12pm May 14 2019
Kate B  10:12pm May 14 2019
zd80  3:51am May 16 2019
WB  3:57am May 15 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
21 July 2019