Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Update
zd80 (50.32.219.---)   5:08pm May 17 2019

Hi all. I just got home a few hours ago from my first appointment with the ortho doctor since my injury and wanted to update everyone on how things went. First off, I'm glad I had an afternoon appointment since it took us a long time to get ready and crutch on out to the car and get situated. I hadn't left the couch or bed in a week and a half except to use the bathroom! It was tough moving around and my leg would start hurting if I did too much I guess. So I had to take breaks to prop/ice my leg and ankle. But we did it. I sat in the back seat of the car (don't think I can fit in the front lol) so I could prop my leg up on the 25 minute ride to the ortho. I was a little nervous about my appointment but it was kind of nice to at least smell some fresh air!
As far as the appointment...it went as well as it could I suppose considering the circumstances. I saw a different doctor today for some reason than the one I saw immediately after my injury. I refer to it as "my injury" instead of saying "broken leg and ankle " may sound weird but when I say "my broken leg", or "I broke my leg and ankle " subconsciously I seem to immediately think about the actual places where it "is" broken, and my mind plays tricks and it starts to hurt a little....weird right??? Anyways, I saw a lady doctor this time and I must say, I liked her soooooo much better than the first one. Maybe it was due to the different setting,(private office vs. hospital ER) but she seemed way more thorough with me and wanted to know everything about how the time had gone for me since my injury. Not to mention when she handled my injured leg and ankle, it felt like she was being extremely gentle, and with the utmost regard for how it would affect me. It certainly was a welcome change from the last doctor! So they took new x-rays and she said she was sufficiently pleased with alignment of my fractures and didn't believe surgery was necessary at this point but would always be an option down the road in the event of a complication or non-union scenario. But that she believes there's no reason to worry about that. Pretty good news I thought! So I was excited to hear that, and that I would be ditching the giant splint for a cast. Unfortunately though, that cast would be a full leg cast. She said that considering my tibia fracture is a good 5-6 inches above the ankle, there's really not much choice. For that break to heal correctly they need to immobilize the joints above AND below the break. So I got a brand new black fiberglass cast that goes ALL THE WAY up to the top of my thigh. It seems an inch or two higher than the splint was! Wow! You were right WB, they had to reposition my leg and foot a little bit to cast it how they wanted. She explained what they were going to do and gave me something for the upcoming pain. They were as gentle as they could be I suppose, but even with pain medicine, it hurt like hell! But all in all, I think it went well. She seemed happy with it so I am as well I guess.
Everything is pretty sore right now, but I'm managing ok. I have to go back again in another 2 weeks to get it checked out again and likely a cast change as well. She's concerned that the high ankle sprain I also have could cause the swelling levels to fluctuate and she wants to change casts regularly to make sure everything is fine and my cast doesn't get too loose or tight. She also wants me to continue staying pretty much "couch ridden" and that for the next little bit, the pain of moving around too much will likely keep me there for the time being. But not to push it. She explained that I should be expecting to spend at least the next 6 weeks or so in a full leg cast and then hopefully a shorter one. But we will see how things progress.

5/7/19- suffered fractured ankle, grade 2 high ankle sprain, and fractured tibia. Full leg backslab splint.
5/17/19- 1st ortho appt. No surgery, fiberglass LLC NWB
6/1/19- 2nd LLC NWB
6/29/19- LLWC applied minimal WB
7/20/19- SLC applied

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Update  new
zd80  5:08pm May 17 2019
 Re: Update  new
WB  9:27pm May 17 2019
zd80  6:06am May 18 2019
WB  7:07am May 18 2019
WB  3:52am May 20 2019
zd80  4:26pm May 20 2019
Edzen Espina  9:29pm May 20 2019
Edzen Espina  9:30pm May 20 2019
zd80  3:42am May 21 2019
WB  3:47am May 21 2019
zd80  12:43pm May 21 2019
Nicola Stan  3:44pm May 21 2019
zd80  3:53pm May 21 2019
Nicola Stan  2:23pm May 27 2019
zd80  4:07pm May 28 2019
WB  5:44pm May 21 2019
WB  9:02pm May 25 2019
zd80  12:13pm May 27 2019
WB  8:25pm May 27 2019
zd80  3:55am May 28 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
20 August 2019