Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

St. Patrick's Day break
Arwen Clevelandstar    9:30am May 27 2019

I took a very bad fall on 3/17 while drinking in a bar. It's such a cliche, but it is what it is and I am done feeling bad about it. I severely shattered both the fibula and tibia at the ankle. Medical stuff: Acute, comminuted, angulated fracture of the distal fibula. Acute mildly displaced fracture of the medial malleolus. The tibiotalar joint is widened medially. No proximal tibia or fibula fracture. No soft tissue abnormality.

I am a 50 yo F with a lifetime of running and strength training, had borderline osteopenia before the accident (early bone loss) due to being on prednisone for years when I was younger for ulcerative colitis. I got a big plate on the outside and a number of screws (9 or 10 I think, including two that go from outside lower leg diagonally to inside lower ankle to stabilize that since the bone was shattered).

It has been 10 weeks since surgery. Surgeon originally said I am at a "very high risk of failure" which wasn't very encouraging or nice. Next f/u is next week, with new x-rays but last films (2 weeks ago) looked like it was healing properly, so hopefully no more surgery unless it is to eventually remove hardware. Have been in an aircast since 3 weeks post-surgery as I got scratched up inside the hard cast and had to have it removed for scratches to heal.

I'm trying to get some kind of idea of when I will be able to walk and drive a car again. We haven't even begun partial weight bearing and movement is limited to just taking cast off to shower and putting it back on. And it's probably completely out of the question but I am wondering if there is even a chance I will be able to run again. Has anyone come back from an injury like this to run again? So depressed and could use some encouraging thoughts.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

St. Patrick's Day break  new
Arwen Clevelandstar  9:30am May 27 2019
 Re: St. Patrick's Day break  new
Nicola Stan  2:38pm May 27 2019
Arwen Clevelandstar  2:41pm May 27 2019
Nicola Stan  2:56pm May 27 2019
Edzen Espina  3:18am May 28 2019
Arwen Clevelandstar  5:12am May 28 2019
Travis Guss  7:44am May 28 2019
Arwen Clevelandstar  7:58am May 28 2019
MaKayla  6:14pm Jun 9 2019
Arwen Clevelandstar  7:26pm Jun 9 2019
Kate B  4:17am Jun 12 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
23 September 2019