Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Update
zd80    12:13pm May 27 2019

Hi WB! Nice to hear from you. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, it's been a busy holiday weekend so far. The leg's doing "ok" I guess. About as good as it could be I suppose, considering the circumstances. Unless I do something to cause it to swell, it feels ok right now, but it's still hard navigating around with the full leg cast. I can say, I've become used to the physical "sight" of it being on my leg, but that's about it. Getting accustomed to the way in which it has affected every other part of my life and how I have to do things is still a work in progress. This is by far the longest I've ever been "incapacitated " either sick or injured in my whole life by a wide margin, and it's still a challenge for me not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. Thankfully, my girlfriend had been able to work from home for the first few weeks here. I don't know what I would have done without her? She's been so patient and caring during this whole broken leg thing so far.
I did actually get out of the house for a little the last 2 days! Not much but progress right?? Saturday we had a few friends and family over to the house for a little early memorial day "get together ". Nothing big. My girlfriend planned it thinking that it would be easier if we invited them to our place. It was really nice. As far getting out of the house, I only went out back on the patio but its something! She had picked up a pretty decent wheelchair, we put a couple pillows under my leg and I hung out on that thing all afternoon. It wasn't too bad. Nice to get some fresh air! Admittedly I did kind of feel a little like a "sideshow" at first though. Having to re-tell the story of how it happened and the events shortly thereafter, a bunch of times throughout the afternoon wasn't my favorite, but people were concerned and interested so I dealt with it. Yesterday she drug me along grocery shopping for a couple hours and it was my first experience outside of the house or doctors office since this happened. That was certainly unique. I felt like EVERYONE was staring at me! We got one of those motorized wheelchairs from the store and I could drive along beside her as she pushed the grocery cart. The way I had to situate myself on this thing to be comfortable, my leg was sticking up like a hood ornament! As soon as people spotted my huge cast, they would all seem to do a "double-take " and I'd catch them staring then they'd look away quickly once they knew I'd seen them. I guess they were just curious? But it was definitely uncomfortable for me. Not sure if I'll go grocery shopping like that again or not? I know why she wanted me to go and I appreciate that, but it was definitely out of my comfort zone.
This weekend did however create opportunities to collect some signatures and notes on my cast! That is ONE thing I have enjoyed so far. Its nice to see what people write and be able to read it later for a little moral boost if necessary. Plus, other folks seem interested in what's been written on it as well. I even had some random people I didn't even know when we were at the grocery store,ask if they could sign my cast? It was a little odd to me but my girlfriend chimed right in with, "oh sure, he won't mind, that would be nice." Not exactly how I was feeling at the time but I allowed it anyways.

5/7/19- suffered fractured ankle, grade 2 high ankle sprain, and fractured tibia. Full leg backslab splint.
5/17/19- 1st ortho appt. No surgery, fiberglass full leg cast applied.
6/1/19- 2nd ortho appt. Cast change, another full leg cast applied. NWB

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Update  new
zd80  5:08pm May 17 2019
 Re: Update  new
WB  9:27pm May 17 2019
zd80  6:06am May 18 2019
WB  7:07am May 18 2019
WB  3:52am May 20 2019
zd80  4:26pm May 20 2019
Edzen Espina  9:29pm May 20 2019
Edzen Espina  9:30pm May 20 2019
zd80  3:42am May 21 2019
WB  3:47am May 21 2019
zd80  12:43pm May 21 2019
Nicola Stan  3:44pm May 21 2019
zd80  3:53pm May 21 2019
Nicola Stan  2:23pm May 27 2019
zd80  4:07pm May 28 2019
WB  5:44pm May 21 2019
WB  9:02pm May 25 2019
zd80  12:13pm May 27 2019
WB  8:25pm May 27 2019
zd80  3:55am May 28 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
24 June 2019