Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: 2nd appointment New Cast!
zd80 (50.32.200.---)   10:32am Jun 2 2019

Hi Michael. So sorry to hear that your cast is giving you such problems. It's bad enough having to wear a full leg cast! I sure hope yours feels better soon.
I've only had fiberglass ones so I can't speak to whether the plaster is more comfortable or cooler, but I will certainly agree that they can get hot at times! I've been putting ice packs on top of mine not just for swelling, but to help keep my leg cool inside. Sometimes I like to sit outside on my wheelchair and hang out for a while and considering it's now pretty much summer time, my leg also has a tendency to "heat up" in there. I try to stay ahead of it with the ice and it definitely has helped. In reading some of your previous posts, it seems like you are having a particularly difficult time with your leg, or tendon should I say, and you have my sympathies. It must be extremely hard getting around in anything but a wheelchair with your foot pointed straight down like that? I know the challenges that moving about in a full leg cast can pose, however your's seems incredibly difficult! Did they at least bend your knee a little so you have some clearance for your foot when crutching? I remember having a similar issue with the backslab splint I was initially in after my injury. But not nearly to the extent in which you describe. In the splint, my foot was very "slightly" pointed down and there was very little bend in my knee. It made crutching ANYWHERE difficult, awkward, and painful. So I pretty much stayed on the couch. When I went in for my first appointment, they repositioned my leg and ankle ( ouch! BTW ) and moved my foot closer to 90. They also bent my knee to what I'd call 15-20 or so, making it much easier to crutch....except for the swelling and pain that comes with not having it elevated! While it's never a "good" time to be stuck in a full leg cast, and although I personally have nothing else to compare it to, summer seems extra tough with the addition of hot temperatures and all.
Please take care with that leg of yours and I am hopeful that you will soon get more used to your new cast so you can be more comfortable. zd80

5/7/19- suffered fractured ankle, grade 2 high ankle sprain, and fractured tibia. Full leg backslab splint.
5/17/19- 1st ortho appt. No surgery, fiberglass LLC NWB
6/1/19- 2nd LLC NWB
6/29/19- LLWC applied minimal WB
7/20/19- SLC applied

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

2nd appointment New Cast!  new
zd80  6:29am Jun 2 2019
 Re: 2nd appointment New Cast!  new
Michael.B  8:02am Jun 2 2019
zd80  10:32am Jun 2 2019
Michael.B  11:22am Jun 2 2019
WB  4:22am Jun 3 2019
zd80  3:51am Jun 4 2019
WB  1:55pm Jun 4 2019
zd80  4:24pm Jun 4 2019
WB  8:17pm Jun 4 2019
zd80  3:39pm Jun 5 2019
WB  5:28pm Jun 5 2019
WB  3:15am Jun 10 2019
zd80  10:00am Jun 10 2019
WB  11:16am Jun 10 2019
zd80  3:49pm Jun 10 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
20 August 2019