Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Fracture clinic: new full leg cast and a heatwave in England
Michael.B    9:33am Jun 29 2019

I had my latest fracture clinic appointment a couple of days ago and a scan on my ruptured Achilles.
The news is that it is healing albeit a little slowly. The consultant showed me the scan picture which showed the two ends of the Achillesí tendon in good position to heal and some new tendon growth.
So it was then back into the plaster room to have my leg recasted again. I hadnít dared to ask what type of cast I was going to get and enjoyed the 30 or so minute waiting scratching my leg (they had removed half the cast to allow the scan to take place and then loosely taped the top of the cast back in place) at my thigh-bliss!!
If youíve never had the unfortunate experience of having a cast applied itís made of different layers: the 1st is a layer of stockingette and when the nurses ran it from my toes to my groin I knew I was getting another full leg cast. They then wrap a layer or two of padding material (like wool bandage).
And the comes the fibreglass cast tape material.
Itís quite a strange feeling when they wrap the cast tape: it feels wet and soft when they first wrap it on you, then it goes really warm when it starts Ron set then it goes absolutely rock hard.
And as itís a big cast you feel different things as they apply it - warm down at my foot and ankle as it sets then the same at my knee and then my groin while the rest of my leg is set rock hard. Very odd.
We are having a heatwave from Europe in England right now and my leg is absolutely melting inside the cast - Iíve got damp spots behind my knee and on the sole of my foot due to sweat.
I have this for another 5 weeks - and then a short cast or a moon boot. I cannot wait.

23rd April ruptured achilles left leg. Temporary plaster splint (full leg equinus)

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Fracture clinic: new full leg cast and a heatwave in England  new
Michael.B  9:33am Jun 29 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
18 September 2019