Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Saturday's Ortho appt.....a mixed bag of news
zd80 (50.32.200.---)   6:40am Jun 30 2019

Hi everyone, hope all are doing well. I had my 3rd appointment with the ortho doctor yesterday morning to see how my leg and ankle were healing. I had been eagerly anticipating this visit as it has been 6 weeks that I've been stuck in a full leg cast and was really hoping to "graduate " to something like a short cast or even a boot.
The appointment went fairly well, got new x-rays and my ortho doctor seemed pleased with how things looked. She told me my ankle fracture was pretty much healed and looked great, good news! And that my tibia fracture was showing some good bone growth, again good news! However, she feels that the tibia is "lagging behind " a bit and would like to see a little more bone growth before she felt comfortable enough to downgrade me to a smaller cast, so I'd be getting another version of full leg cast. That really sucked!! :(:( I totally had my heart set on getting something other than another full leg cast this time :(:( . I guess the silver lining is, the full leg cast they put me in is a full leg walking cast? It's almost straight with very little knee bend, and has a velcro "shoe" on it. While she wants me to remain dependent on the crutches, she would like me to begin "placing" my foot on the ground when crutching. I'm not allowed to walk on it without the crutches, as the only weight she wants me to put on it right now is the weight of itself (leg and cast combined I guess). She says she believes that introducing a small amount of weight bearing at this time may help trigger additional bone growth and actually help in the healing process. Ok? Whatever she says, she's the expert.
So I'm back in another full leg cast...ugh:(:( for the time being and will return for another appointment in 3 weeks to see how things look. I'm certainly feeling a mixed bag of emotions regarding this last trip to the ortho. Part of me is really happy that my injury IS getting better and that my ankle fracture is basically healed by now. But the slower healing of my tibia fracture and the subsequent application of yet another full leg cast for at least the next 3 weeks has me a little down. I did however get to choose the color this time...

5/7/19- suffered fractured ankle, grade 2 high ankle sprain, and fractured tibia. Full leg backslab splint.
5/17/19- 1st ortho appt. No surgery, fiberglass LLC NWB
6/1/19- 2nd LLC NWB
6/29/19- LLWC applied minimal WB
7/20/19- SLC applied

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Saturday's Ortho appt.....a mixed bag of news  new
zd80  6:40am Jun 30 2019
 Re: Saturday's Ortho appt.....a mixed bag of news  new
WB  7:44am Jun 30 2019
zd80  11:00am Jun 30 2019
WB  7:49am Jul 7 2019
zd80  4:36pm Jul 9 2019
WB  8:46pm Jul 9 2019
zd80  3:38am Jul 10 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
23 July 2019