Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Hardware removal - operation and recovery
vanessafromfrance    12:44pm Jul 14 2019

Hi !

I got mine removed 10 days ago.
For a little background story:
I broke my Tibia + Fibula on December 2017 by falling at rock climbing, got an IM nail + 3 screws (2 on the bottom + 1 near the knee). Six month after the first surgery, my surgeon removed the two bottom screws. And now, a year and a half after my accident, I got the rest removed. My healing process has always been "normal" on my X-rays, but I never stoped slightly limping since the accident according to my friends...I personally feel like I'm walking just fine.

For the IM nail removal, it went smoothly. I was really scared of pain at first because the anesthesiologist told me last minute that he wouldn't give me a nerve block (now I don't regret not getting one)
When I woke up a felt a little pain, 2/10 scale, and that was the maximum pain I felt since then. I bled around 600 cc in my recovery room, the surgeon warned me that it would happen because the empty space left by the nail has to fill up with blood.
I eventually stoped bleeding 4 hours after the surgery and got home an other 3 hours later. Surgeon told me to bring my clutches on the day of surgery but also said that I could bare weight immediately, so I guess that your bones are OK to bare weight since they already healed but because of the hematoma + soft tissu damage, it's better not to put weight immediately after. He also prescribed me pain killer (didn't use any since the surgery) and anticoagulant shots for 10 days before I left the hospital.
I ditched the clutches immediately after I got home, and got to my room without them. I didn't use them again after that. I walked my dog on the third day, and went to work on the fifth day.
We are now on day 10 post-op, I still limp and my knee is little bit stiff even if it is not swollen, I didn't feel any pain since the surgery so I guess I'm lucky.

Sorry for the broken English, I'm French :). If you have any question I'll be pleased to answer them.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Hardware removal - operation and recovery  new
Nicola Stan  4:11am Jun 23 2019
 Re: Hardware removal - operation and recovery  new
Embonious  8:42am Jul 13 2019
Nicola Stan  2:25pm Jul 17 2019
Jacky  5:52am Jul 28 2019
Nicola Stan  12:09am Jul 29 2019
vanessafromfrance  12:44pm Jul 14 2019
Embonious  11:45am Jul 16 2019
Nicola Stan  2:24pm Jul 17 2019
Agata Gadek  8:59am Aug 6 2019
Nicola Stan  12:43pm Aug 6 2019
Agata Gadek  4:12pm Aug 6 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
12 December 2019