Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Fracture clinic appointment today a disaster
Michael.B    12:43pm Aug 7 2019

A quick recap on my injury and treatment pre-todayís clinic appointment: I ruptured my Achillesí tendon in late April and have been in a cast since. I thought it was slow healing until I went to the fracture clinic today.
Ive had an MRI Scan today and I need surgery.
There are 2 problems:
1. My Achilles is now at the stage of delayed healing - there has been zero growth in the new tendon since the last appointment so the only viable option left now is to repair it surgically.
2. I have an added problem. Iíd been experiencing pain below my knee which I put down to it being immobilised in a cast for a long time. The MRI scan showed that when I ruptured my Achilles I also tore something called the ďmedial head of the gastrocnemius muscleĒ which can happen when the Achilles blows up like mine did. My understanding of what the surgeon told me is that I think this means my calf muscle isnít attached to the femur bone properly. If left unattached Iíll have no muscle tone in my leg. This needs surgery at the same time. Theyíll do both repairs at the same times
I had the pre-operation tests done today so I donít have to go back until the date of the operation which is set for a week on Friday.
Unfortunately, Iíll be in a full leg cast afterwards, initially temporary plaster splint for 10 days before going back for the stitches removal and to get a permanent full leg cast for 10-12 weeks to allow the calf to heal - if it was just my Achilles Iíd had an operation on Iíd have a shorter cast. Then a boot for 4-6 weeks or so.
The surgeon (not the same one Iíve seen previously who has left the hospital for unknown reasons) isnít sure how this was missed previously and ask if I had any pain near my knee at the time of the injury and i canít actually remember as the pain in my Achilles was so intense I guess I assumed that if I had any pain then it was from my Achilles.
To say this is bad news is stating the obvious. Iíve been put in touch with the hospitals patient liaison team to see if I want to put in a complaint- I donít honestly know right now.
Iím back in a plaster back slab cast toes to top of thigh, just like I was in when I first injured myself.
Back to the beginning we go. Absolutely gutted.

23rd April ruptured achilles left leg. Temporary plaster splint (full leg equinus)

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Fracture clinic appointment today a disaster  new
Michael.B  12:43pm Aug 7 2019
 Re: Fracture clinic appointment today a disaster  new
Nicola Stan  1:03pm Aug 7 2019
Michael.B  2:05am Aug 9 2019
Nicola Stan  2:41am Aug 9 2019
Michael.B  4:30am Aug 9 2019
Annette T  1:10pm Aug 7 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
18 August 2019