Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

I BROKE MY LEG, NOT MY SPIRIT
Edzen Espina    10:31pm Aug 19 2019

Dear Everyone,

At last, my toe-to-knee cast was removed last August 1, 2019. The first sight at my left leg was a little weird. My skin was wrinkled with so much dead skin (5 months of recasting). My calf muscle was still weak and atrophied. Got my x-ray after the removal and my OS was glad with the alignment and the bone growth at the fractured sight. It is always advisable to bring a large pair of shoes if it's the last day wearing the cast. My ankle was so stiff that i can't even flex and rotate. There was contracture of the muscles of my ankle. It was painful at the first attempt to walk with crutches. My left foot had less sensation. I got a clearance from my OS to go home and gave me a referral for my physical therapy. When I got home my mom prepared a pail with lukewarm water and mild soap. i got to soak my left leg for about 20 minutes and then slowly rubbing it with a soapy hand towel. Dead skin was slowly removed but I was so careful not to irritate my skin since it became more sensitive this time for having not exposed to light and water for a long time. I dried my left leg using soft towel and applied a generous amount of Aveeno Anti-Itch Moisturizing lotion. it helped relieved the itchiness since the new layer of skin became so sensitive and a bit itchy. I went to see my PT. Part of my therapy utrasound of my ankle, massage of calf and foot muscles since they became so stiff and painful, exercises for my foot, ankle, leg, knee and thigh that I can also do at home, stationary biking, and walking with assistive device. I had crutches for 2 days, then quad cane for 2 weeks and from August 16 I was no longer using any assistive device. Im still working on my balance, slowly taking my steps, and trying to improve my foot contact. I still elevate my leg at nigh because there's still a little bit of swelling from longer walks. I do a lot of exercises at home and bought a stationary bike for health reasons too and continue to do exercises in the offices in between work.

Everyday is truly a miracle. I'm touched by so many positive remarks. There is always hope in every step and progress we make. Let us just be patient to ourselves, constantly fight frustrations, and befriending time since time is our best medicine. Now that I am gaining back my momentum, I am here to send a message of hope and encouragement. We all can do it. Our bones will heal and we can walk again. Just be patient and keep the faith because God will walk with us in this journey. I sending you all my love and prayers.

Happy healing, everyone!

Edzen

Feb 07, 2019 - complete oblique fracture of left lower tibia and upper fibula
Feb 08, 2019 - closed reduction, no surgery, no internal fixation
Feb 22, 2019 - first recast, full-leg cast, good bone alignment
Mar 26, 2019 - second recast, toe-to-knee, good bone alignment
May 02, 2019 - third recast, toe-to-knee, good bone alignment, with callus formation noted
May 06, 2019 - OS referral to a Rehabilitation Medicine Doctor, started with my therapy sessions
June 6, 2019 - 4th recast, toe-to-knee, good bone alignment
July 6, 2019 - 5th recast, toe-to-knee, good bone alignment
August 1, 2019 - removal of cast
August 2, 2019 - use of crutches with on going therapy
August 5, 2019 - transition to quad cane with on going therapy
August 16, 2019 - no more assistive with on going therapy

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

I BROKE MY LEG, NOT MY SPIRIT  new
Edzen Espina  10:31pm Aug 19 2019
 Re: I BROKE MY LEG, NOT MY SPIRIT  new
Nicola Stan  2:57am Aug 20 2019
Edzen Espina  9:23pm Aug 21 2019
Annette T  2:52pm Aug 21 2019
Edzen Espina  9:22pm Aug 21 2019
Annette T  10:54am Aug 22 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
23 September 2019