Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: I BROKE MY LEG, NOT MY SPIRIT
Edzen Espina    9:22pm Aug 21 2019

Hi Annette,

It's good to hear from you. I broke my leg due slip and fall. My left leg was flexed during the accident and I landed on it putting most of weight. I knew right away that I had fracture. I remained calm and even instructed everyone not to move until the rescue team arrived. I moved myself since for me it was the best thing to do so as not to add further injury. When I saw my radiographs, I knew I had two complete fractures. One, was on my distal end (towards the ankle) of the tibia and one on the proximal end (towards my knee) of the fibula. When my OS visited me the following day, he gave me two options. I can go on for an Open Reduction Internal Fixation (ORIF) where he will fix my fracture with plates and screws and the other option was a Closed Reduction (without surgery) where I will go monthly recasting for 5 months. He told me the the advantage of ORIF was that my leg can start to weight bear few weeks after the surgery but will have risks for infections because of surgery and of course the fact that I will be undergoing two surgeries, the insertion of the plates and screws and the removal years after the bones will heal after.

My closed reduction started February 2019, with a full leg temporary cast since there was still swelling, with no weight bearing and was on crutches and wheel chair for long distances. Going to the bathroom was truly a struggle. After two weeks, my temporary cast was removed and changed to a full leg hard cast. I was wearing it for more than a month. Still on crutches and wheel chair. April 2019, my full leg cast was removed, I was already told ahead by my OS that my leg will atrophy. True enough, my leg was smaller and my muscles were weak. It was replaced to a toe-to-knee hard cast and was allowed a 25% weight bearing. I was referred for physical therapy so I can work on to build strength for my upper body, proper weight shifting during the use of crutches, and exercises I can do at home to minimize atrophy of my upper leg. Got another recast on May 2019. Still toe-to-knee hard cast but this time with 50% weight bearing, I continued with my rehab and exercises. June 2019 another recast and this time with 75% weigh bearing. I transitioned to one crutch this time until i was using a quad cane. July 2019 was my last cast, and was already on full weight bearing. I was no longer using any assistive device. I was trained during my PT on how to walk on my cast with no cane. Last August 2019, my cast was removed. My leg looked odd for several days but it slowly turned to look better as days go by. Now, Im still working on my balance since the ankle still hurts due to contructure for not having moved to more than 5 months.

Annette, I also went to a bit of loneliness and frustrations during this entire journey. But I always make a conscious effort to bounce back and fight. Time is the only best medicine we have. You can survive this, because I have survived myself, Just be very patient to yourself. Everyday you"ll get to discover that you are improving, be happy with the little progress because no matter how small the progress is, it is still a sign that we are improving. This journey will never be easy, but take time to appreciate every thing that you can by your own but do not hesitate to ask help if you need one. That was the biggest lesson I have learned. I was always on the go before the accident but when I had my cast on and had limited movements, that was the moment when I realized that in the reality of life, we need others to help us. That was the time when I learned to acknowledge my limitations and recognize the help of others and became more appreciative even to the most simple and small gestures and things.

I'm praying for you and for the rest of our bothers and sisters who are also broken and healing. Believe me when I say, this too shall pass. You heal everyday, just don't get frustrated with the results of the check ups and x-rays, our bodies know best when to exactly heal. Embrace whatever life is throwing at us right now for these will be the very weapons that we will use to become the better and stronger versions of ourselves. Happy healing. You can reach at my personal email: eaespina@liceo.edu.ph

I can be reached also at my facebook account: Edzen Alpuerto Espina
I can share to you some pics I have done during my healing journey.

Happy healing,

Edzen

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

I BROKE MY LEG, NOT MY SPIRIT  new
Edzen Espina  10:31pm Aug 19 2019
 Re: I BROKE MY LEG, NOT MY SPIRIT  new
Nicola Stan  2:57am Aug 20 2019
Edzen Espina  9:23pm Aug 21 2019
Annette T  2:52pm Aug 21 2019
Edzen Espina  9:22pm Aug 21 2019
Annette T  10:54am Aug 22 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
23 September 2019